Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C What can i use my old coro base for?

whistlepig

Cavy Slave
So I'm currently expanding from a 2x3 to a 2x4, but I realized that I can probably use my old 2x3 coro base for something useful. It's still in pretty good shape, but i need to expand and give it a thorough cleaning. Plus, who doesn't like shiny, new coroplast? :) I was thinking maybe an L shape 2x7? (I'll still have to get some more grids) but i do have the space in a large, empty corner of the room, and i figure i can save some $$$. If anyone has pictures of an L-shaped C&C or what they did with their old coroplast, feel free to post them. Also, if you have more cage designs i can make with what i have, i would really appreciate those too!

Make a loft out of it! I'm getting ready to expand a 2x4 into a 2x5 and will use the old coro base for the new loft.
i was thinking about that...wouldn't it be hard to clean?

I've gone back and forth with different sized cages so I saved one of my bases in case I want to use it later or have an emergency where I'd have to move them to my lower level. I store it flattened and keep it behind a shelving unit in my laundry room. I keep spare grids down there, too.

sorry! let me clarify-wouldn't the lower level only have an open roof of 1x2?
the rest of the bottom level would be hard to clean....?

Yes, that would make the bottom hard to clean but you could off set the loft and have grids holding up the end that's in the air. My 2x2 loft is offset to make it easier to clean the bottom.

Um....No the loft is not hard to clean. I've cleaned mine SEVERAL times and don't have a single issue with it. I clean under the loft, under the ramp and in the loft. Nothing difficult about it.

Mr Whistles.....she is saying that if she has a 2x4 with a 2x3 loft, wouldn't that make it hard to clean the bottom because there is only a 1x2 opening left over. Yes, that would make it EXTREMELY difficult to clean the bottom.......That is why I told her she could off set the loft like I did.

The OP doesn't have to use the entire 2x3 corobase as her loft. A 2x2 or 2x1 would be a better choice. I am not sure why one would use a 2x3 loft on a 2x4 cage.

Yes, an offset 2x2 loft would be great!

Um....No the loft is not hard to clean. I've cleaned mine SEVERAL times and don't have a single issue with it. I clean under the loft, under the ramp and in the loft. Nothing difficult about it.
i meant the LOWER level space that's covered by the loft. sorry if i wasn't clear again :)

As I said, I've cleaned under my loft and under my ramp, no difficulty as all. I also just have a 1x2 loft. Unless I get more grids, I won't be making it any bigger.

If using a 2x3 loft, I see an issue with space while using a ramp. UNLESS you were to arrange the ramp efficiently to maximize space. I really like using the ramp/tunnel option. And both my girls really like it too. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/hot-tips/79470-maximizing-space-ramp.html

I don't have a link but here is a pic of mine! What can i use my old coro base for?

What can i use my old coro base for?
This is my offset, sorry best pic I have right now... The outside grids are supported by more grids and I use that area for the storage, and I supported the overhanging grid by angling a grid underneath and ziptieing it. It works great!!! If you want a better pic I can get one later today... :D

I believe most users use something similar to that. I *think* I've seen ones that use a slanted grid.(not sure on how much support that actually give)

thanks so much for all of your wonderful sources and pictures!

I LIKE pictures to much

I would just make an L shape cage. more room and less hassle...

I agree. Go for the L shape. More room too.

You can make a ramp later on down the road.

I want to make a 2x10 connected to a 2x10 in an L shape with a ramp in the corner over hanging. Confusing to explain, but that's my dream cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.