Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New here and I have a piggie problem!

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone I'm new here! My name is Morgan but I also go by Aleks. I'm 17 about to turn 18. :)
I'm somewhat new to owning guinea pigs and my current piggy, George, has a bump above his pancake and it seems like he's having troubles getting grease out? It's almost like he has a blockage or something. I don't know a lot about their grease glands so if someone could tell me if this is normal or if i need to take him to a vet, i would really appreciate it! :)

I took ownership of him because my boyfriends family had gotten George as a christmas gift for his sister's 4 year old daughter and he bit her a few times [because she doesn't realize that they're fragile and she would treat him badly]. I'm pretty sure they got him from Petsmart.

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
Sounds to me like you need to clean his anal sac..

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I just looked up a video on how to do that and oh my... This is going to be very unpleasant. haha Any tips on doing it? George moves around all the time and just trimming his nails is always a hassle.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't usually need to do anything to a grease gland other than clean it. A drop of Dawn dish detergent will do just fine -- just be sure to rinse it very well.

I don't know what you mean by "having trouble getting grease out." It either comes out or it doesn't, and the usual problem is that the gland just gets gunky.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
What I mean by him having troubles getting it out, or thats what it seems like to me anyways, is just that it will like clump up and such at the opening. I wash his grease gland whenever this happens, but I just wasn't sure if it was normal or not. I probably sound really uneducated on the subject, but as I said, I'm new to owning piggies. ^_^;;

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.