Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aloha! New to the site.

PB_Cavy

Cavy Slave
Aloha everyone!

Just this year, I've adopted a rescued guinea pig. I'm the new owner of Prosciutto. I'm completely in love and trying my best to keep him happy and healthy. I've recently discovered that people create C&C cages for their cavies and wanted to begin the project of building my own. Unfortunately, following online tutorials and looking through the list of materials, it seems pretty difficult to get a hold of 'em. Living on Maui, specific supplies are limited and often times, have to turn to online shopping with ridiculous shipping rates (if retailers even ship outside of the continental US).

I've joined in hopes of expanding my knowledge to better help raise my guinea pig. I hope to find someone from Maui that could possibly point me in the right direction to get materials for cages, and food beneficial for my cavy's health. Also, I'm hoping to find a vet on-island that specializes in the care for guinea pigs.

I appreciate any advice and feedback. Mahalo!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome!
You're actually the 1st Hawaiian cavy owner I have met on here. Do you have any pet stores available to you? If so, I recommend giving them a visit and reading the ingredients label on every cavy pellet food bag. Since you are very limited to your resources, I would think as long as the pellet food has timothy as the 1st ingredient then that is good enough.
As far as coroplast and grids, I'm not sure where you'd be able to find them. I am not sure if there is a Bed Bath and Beyond in Hawaii, I am certain a lot of the sign shops in your area maybe small and locally owned. An ex boyfriend of mine worked in a locally owned sign shop and they cared decent sizes of corrugated plastic. I am sure if that relationship worked out his boss wouldn't mind giving me a sheet. His boss was like my grampa, too bad we aren't in contact anymore. He lives an hour n a half away from me.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Welcome! We would love to see pictures of your new friend! :) You can also look at alternative materials to build a C&C, such as instead of Coroplast you can use a water proof shower curtain or table cloth. Maybe some wire shelving pieces instead of grids (Though you'd have to measure them to make sure you make a big enough cage)

PB_Cavy

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your response. It's really exciting to see such a large community of guinea pig owners totally dedicated and serious about their piggies. I've been going through various guinea pig sites and absorbing anything and everything there is to know about these little guys. (I've especially liked Guinea Lynx & GuineaPigCages). We do have a few pet stores on Maui and I initially bought pellets but read that I should provide fresh vegetables instead. (Btw, please correct me if I'm wrong.) So lately, I would just buy veggies from my local grocery store based off of some nutrition chart (from Lynx?). And as for timothy, I've just given Prosciutto handfuls of the hay everyday.

Unfortunately, we don't have a Bed, Bath & Beyond or a Target. Just a Walmart & a K-Mart. No luck finding even the grids. So, what kind of plastic (specific names, maybe) that I could use instead of coroplast when asking sign shops?

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Most people feed both veggies and pellets, however if good quality pellets can't be found it's ok to not feed them since they are the smallest part of the diet at about 5% (veggies being next at 10% then hay at 75%) Make sure you are feeding unlimited hay to him.

Nix16

Cavy Slave
If you have a hardware store I'd try that for wire shelving, you can join shelves together with cable ties to make them longer if necessary. And you could use a vinyl off cut from a flooring shop as the base if needed. That should get you started anyway

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@PB_Cavy, you can order the grids to be delivered to your Walmart store and shipping is free. I assume that would also apply in Hawaii, but you should definitely check first. I believe the brand they carry is called Stor-Mor. If you search the website for storage cubes, you should find them.

Make sure your pig has hay at all times -- a few handfuls a day may not be enough.

Last edited:

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
welcome! i'd love to see a pic....that's a great name. this coming from someone with pigs named flora, fenella, and philomena. sorry the no caps...i'm eating breakfast...

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your response. It's really exciting to see such a large community of guinea pig owners totally dedicated and serious about their piggies. I've been going through various guinea pig sites and absorbing anything and everything there is to know about these little guys. (I've especially liked Guinea Lynx & GuineaPigCages). We do have a few pet stores on Maui and I initially bought pellets but read that I should provide fresh vegetables instead. (Btw, please correct me if I'm wrong.) So lately, I would just buy veggies from my local grocery store based off of some nutrition chart (from Lynx?). And as for timothy, I've just given Prosciutto handfuls of the hay everyday.

Unfortunately, we don't have a Bed, Bath & Beyond or a Target. Just a Walmart & a K-Mart. No luck finding even the grids. So, what kind of plastic (specific names, maybe) that I could use instead of coroplast when asking sign shops?
Aloha! Some people also use a shower curtains instead of coroplast as a bottom. As Bpatters suggested see if you can get the cubes shipped to your local Walmart for free. In the photos section there is a Alternative cage section that may help give you ideas.

Welcome to the forum!

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
Hi there. This is the link for the cubes that you can get delivered for free. They also have them in black. Whitmor White Wire Storage Cubes, Four Cubes Interlocked - Walmart.com I hope this helps. What I did for a long time was line the bottom with towels, cover the towel with fleece so the piggies didn't get sore feet from the grids. Then along the bottom of the cage (outside the grids) I lined it with a shower curtain. It is more difficult to clean than coroplast, but it took me weeks to get the coroplast here.

There is a company that ships small sheets of coroplast that you could piece together with packing tape to make a base for cage. They do ship to Hawaii. This is the link to their website. Corrugated Plastic Panels - BLICK art materials It's not called coroplast though, they call it corrugated plastic panels. I have ordered from them personally, so I know that what they sell is what you're looking for. The company did warn that any shipment over 40 pounds would have to be quoted for a shipping price, but they said that they would get back to you within a couple of business days on the price for that, but there is now way it should weigh that much for a cage for you.

I wish you the best of luck with your cage and I'm glad to meet someone new that is willing to go to great lengths to build a new cage. :)

doglaurasmudge

Cavy Slave
Hola, le llamo Laura, tengo dos perros y un gato, como te llamo? Que tal? - Spanish! Only bit of I know, mind! :eek:

It means: Hello, my name is Laura, I have two dogs and one kitten, what's your name? How are you?

Welcome to the forum! You will exit this site this site, knowing more about guinea pigs than when you came on and you shall be checking again on it tomorrow! ;)

PB_Cavy

Cavy Slave
WOW you guys are so awesome!

Thanks so much for all of the helpful feedback and the warm welcomes. I'll see what I can do about finding alternative materials. I'll be sure to post up my work in progress and I hope it will turn out a big success. I'm so excited. Thanks again, you guys! :tearsofjo

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! K-mart sells 23 grids. I buy all my grids from here! Heres the link Stor Floor Standing 6-Cube Storage Unit - Tools - Garage Organization & Shelving - Storage Hooks
As others have said walmart also sells them, but you do get less in a box. For sign shops I would ask for corrugated plastic. Im not sure if you may have a home depot or lowes near you? If so, they sell small sheets and a sheet that is 36x72. I got my coro there I bought a few sheets that size and had enough to make 2x5 1/2 with 1 x2 loft and a ramp! You can also use waterproof shower curtains and vinyl tablecloths as other have said :)Would love to see some pigtures of your piggy! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.