Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size New piggie roommate?!?!?Bigger cage?!??!?! (pics!)

ppguineapigs

Cavy Slave
Long time no see! So, i have a 1 and half year old boar named freddie, and i've noticed that he's a bit deppresed in his 2x3 with a 1x2 loft so i thought of buying a new piggie for him! I've had the idea for months but never got around to it because i have a weekend house and only 1 pet carrier and im scared they could fight in the hour car ride. My pig LOVES it and really enjoys being at the weekend house, i mean what piggie wouldnt enjoy having a whoooole backyard full of grass for himself right?
I finally decided to get another piggie for him, but the cage is waaay to small, here's picture of it (it looks even smaller on camara!)
New piggie roommate?!?!?Bigger cage?!??!?! (pics!)

so my idea was to go 3x3 with a 1x3 loft that would have 2 ramps (he loves going up and down the ramp and to avoid any fights i thought about putting one on the left and one on the right), i dont think it would be comfortable for me to get to my closet but i could make that sacrifice for them. I have 2 water bottles all ready, but only have 1 cuddle cup that has like a roof and im afraid they could fight??? i cant get another one cause i bought it from a lady that handmakes them and she was quite far away from me, so thats a no no. I could get more toys though. And a last thing, should i put the new piggie in quarantin?????? I have a store bought cage he could be in for the first week, and i thought i could introduce them during that first week a part, for about an hour a day or so?????? Any tips on introductions???
Thank you guys!
Paula :)

PS: while i wrote this, he peed on my laptop charger!:crazy: just thought i'd throw that in there! haha

A couple of pictures of Freddie munching on grass at the weekend house!
New piggie roommate?!?!?Bigger cage?!??!?! (pics!)New piggie roommate?!?!?Bigger cage?!??!?! (pics!)

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
You should for sure put the new pig into quarantine. There is no point in introducing them for that first period and they should be separate for at least 2 weeks to be safe. If their cages aren't in separate rooms or you introduce them during this time then the quarantine is pretty much useless so don't put them together at all during this time.

Also introducing and separating them isn't going to help them and is just going to stress them out. There is a great page about it that I know someone else will have the link to. You should read that carefully.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Hi Paula,

Cute piggy! A 3x3 cage should be fine for them.

The quarantine period is 3 weeks. It should be done in a separate room behind closed doors. If you introduce them for 1 hour period, it would break the quarantine. If the new pig is ill, your pig can catch it. Also make sure they are same gender before introducing them, don't take other people's word for it.

Introduction should be done once, if they get along, leave them together. If you keep separating and introducing, they will have to work out their dominance every time they meet.

Here are some helpful links for intros:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46468 (this one is very useful for boars)
Guinea Pigs Social Life

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think this is the page @(broken link removed) was taking about:

Guinea Pigs Social Life

EDIT: looks like Lissie bet me to it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.