Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea pig proofing/floor time issue

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
My room is really difficult to pig-proof and I cant do it every day. Plus, she always finds ways around the walls I set up to get into my closet (It doesnt have a door) or under my bed and other places she shouldnt be.

Im not allowed to take her out of my room unless she's safely in my arms (my stepmom hates her and often refers to her as "the dumb rat") so I cant have her in other rooms in the house for floor time. Out of desperation I've put her cage top on the floor and let her run around but it's not any better than being in a cage. Help?

Do you have grids available? Those make fantastic play pens. I made mine for 30$ total. but it's a 4x8 play pen with a two shower curtains Velcroed together and then two fleece blankets laid on top. You could also make a play pen out of sturdy cardboard. It's not ideal, but if it's larger then her cage it's helping something. I would hot glue and tape together thick cardboard, then line it with a shower curtain. Throw in a blanket/towels and she can run around in there. If you make it low enough you could even store it under your bed to pull out.

Maybe you can cover your closet entrance with some sort of wall for your guinea pig. My guinea pig always tries getting under my bed, but I used some pillows and stuff to cover the space.

You can use pillows, I guess? Use tall items your guinea pig cant reach over.
~ Good luck, let me know if this works, or if somethings not right about my idea...

:)

I would think pillows aren't the best option @Cocoa<3 because pigs can always go UNDER them.

IF you have grids or a playpen.. you can get a mattress cover (waterproof with elasitc sides) at target for about 24 or less. and the elastic will keep it around the sides of the girds while they play :) and water proof your floor and it all stores up and washes nicely!

I don't have grids or a playpen. And im currently broke with no job. And my momma wouldn't be willing to get me anything. What I did find though is a baby gate in my attic that I can use to block off my closet. I've used the pillow idea for blocking off under my bed, so now there's only minimal chasing if she decides to go chew on my instruments (A corner of my room has all my musical intruments in it) and I think there's another baby gate somewhere in my house, so that'll solve that issue. Thank you so much for the advice :3

You can also look for big pieces of cardboard to use as the "walls" or tape a bunch of little ones together if they won't take you to stores to ask if they will give you the give you the big ones. Just save all your cardboard boxes from cereal etc and tape them together to the sizes you need. You can either tape them to the walls (really close to the floor, and then use bricks or books or something heavy to hold the bottom part down and / or against the wall.Any time they are having floor time, you should probably be watching them anyway so you can identify any places in your cardboard fortress that may need to be secured better. Good luck. I am not a fan of parents who get or allow their kids to get pets but then want to inhibit them from caring for them properly :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.