Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi, new member and new to Guinea pigs

BBGuinea

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I am new to the forum, and new to Guinea Pigs. And I took on a challenge for my first time, lol. A friend of mine works at a petstore and asked me if I would take in 2 special needs Guinea Pigs, I guess they had a infection or something and they have some brain damage. The store was just going to leave them in a bin in the back room to live out there lives:( So her manager asked if she knew of anyone who would take them in, and she asked me:) So we just picked up these 2 male baby Guinea Pigs yesterday. We have a lot of pets, but no Guinea Pigs, so bringing them in is exciting. So I am here to learn about Guinea Pigs so that I can make sure these 2 babies live a full life, even with there specail needs. I have a question in the fact of where do I get the wire pieces that I see people making the cages out of? I have the 2 boys in a short term large aquarium, I figured the aquarium was better than the small dark bin they were living in. But I want to build them a nice big cage with maybe second level or 3 levels. But I don't know where to get the supplies. Thanks for any suggestion.

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC and to being a Cavy Slave! Hope you post pics soon. That is incredibly nice of you! Kmart has them for $19.99 and there is on online code for 10% off KMART10PSAVINGS. Coroplast you can buy at sign shops.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome :)

That's really great that you will willing to take on some special needs pigs right out of the gate.

The grids you see people using for the C&C cages are very easy to find. Bed, bath & Beyond has "organizer cubes" they sell for around $19/box. For two boys, you will need about a 2 grid by 5 grid cage which can be made using one box of grids.

You might want to rethink the aquarium, even for short-term though. Often poorly ventilated and definitely not enough room - especially for 2 males.

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
If you find the grids before you find the coroplast. you can use cardboard for yoru cage bottom and then cover it with an aired out shower curtian liner and then towels and fleece :) Good luck So how does the brain damage effect them.are they able to eat on their own and stuff. Whta kinda of problems are they having.

have they been to the vet to verify they can"t be treated to help them out in anyway?

Good luck I am sure they will appreciate your genorosity

BBGuinea

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info on the grids:) I will go get some ASAP. The aquarium is the only thing I had available at this moment. It's 1 foot x 4 feet. But its only tempary, I figured it was better than the tiny bins at the store they were in. But I will go get the grid things and start on a new cage asap so they can get out of the aquarium quickly. Thank you again for the information:)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First, turn them over and make sure they look the same, whether they're male or female. Pet stores are notoriously bad about sexing guinea pigs, and you don't want them to produce more. You can see www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm to determine what you're looking at.

Second, get them to an exotic vet. They may or may not have brain damage, they may just have ear infections, and a good antibiotic would take care of it. Don't use a dog and cat vet -- they get almost no training in guinea pig care.

Thanks for taking these guys in. Post any questions you have, and we'll be glad to help. Oh, and we need pictures.

BBGuinea

Cavy Slave
They walk in circles, and tend to fall over at moments, and have head tilts. But they both are able to eat on there own and drink. And yes the manager of the store took them to the vet before letting them come to a home. The vet said getting them into a home and out of the stressful place that is the isolation room at the store was the best thing for them. And that in a home they may improve to almost normal, but maybe not. But they have a home here for their lives and I am going to try and make it the best possible for them.:D

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
They walk in circles, and tend to fall over at moments, and have head tilts. But they both are able to eat on there own and drink.

It sounds like an inner ear infection rather than brain damage. It's curable with antibiotics. It can become permanant without them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Get them to a good vet quickly. The sooner they're treated, the less likely the damage is to be permanent. And I'll be VERY surprised if it turns out to be a neurological problem rather than ear infection.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
The vet said getting them into a home and out of the stressful place that is the isolation room at the store was the best thing for them.

If the vet that the store manager took them too said that the "best thing for them" was away from stress and in a home, rather than treating with antibiotics, he clearly isn't familiar with treating exotics. They need to see an exotics vet immediately.

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
yep i vote ear infection, too! And it could be that the symptoms maybe permanant allready, but it is worth checking it out with an exotic vet wellness exam. Not only can they check for ear infection and tell you first hand if the effects are treatable or permanannt, but they can look at the skin and show you how to trim there tiny nails, where the grease glands are for boys etc etc. If they do have long lasting effects or brain damage it would be wise to have an established relationship with a exotic vet as the GP's hide their symptoms till they can"t hold them anymore since they are prey animals...so when you NEED a vet you NEED!! a vet. Many here have found when you figure out you need a vet for a GP you do not have alot of time to find an exotic. Just some food for thought

BBGuinea

Cavy Slave
CavyMama,
I don't think the vet ment it was better than with antibiotics. I believe they had already been treated with the antibiotics, but the symptoms were already permanant. And the vet ment that for them to live as long as possible that a home would be the best place for them for the symptoms to improve, instead of in the Iso room at the store. I met the store manager when she gave them to me, and she really seemed to care about the well being for the animals in her store. But I will look into a vet in my area that could double check that.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
CavyMama,
I don't think the vet ment it was better than with antibiotics. I believe they had already been treated with the antibiotics, but the symptoms were already permanant. And the vet ment that for them to live as long as possible that a home would be the best place for them for the symptoms to improve, instead of in the Iso room at the store. I met the store manager when she gave them to me, and she really seemed to care about the well being for the animals in her store. But I will look into a vet in my area that could double check that.

But I thought you said they were just babies?
If I was you I'd take them to a good exotic vet, because there is no way that they will improve at all with-out treatment.
I know pet stores seem to know what they are doing, but I wouldn't believe that they had properly treated the pigs.

Dahlia

Cavy Slave
first off, good for you about taking them! there is a button on the top of the website page where they sell cubes and coroplast and sets.i would definintely take them to the vet

BBGuinea

Cavy Slave
Maybe baby was a bad choice of wording. They are young, but I guess not baby young. They are bigger than my hand. I don't know enough to say how old they are. I will post pictures. I am looking into a vet around here to have them double checked.

This is the first one that my daughters named Ben

And this is Ben with the other one my daughters named Blu

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
I can speak from experience and please don"t get discouraged with all the feedback...we are here to help :) :) Its a great thing that you did and we want you and them to be successful even if it does turn out to be more of a piggy hospice mission...But just imagine what wonderful companions they will be if there issues are treatable.

I know you are probably overwhelmed with all the cage and care suggestions, but I just want to share because I too bought the same food :) :) Cuase it looked great compare to all the boring un healthly looking pellets. Or maybe they gave you free pellets with your new freinds. Your best bet is to get Pellets with out all the frills (fruits nuts, seeds) They are really there to make us humans buy them cause why would you buy those pellets when you can get the great looking bag of pellets with healthy tidbits...I did the same thing! HA BUt all the extra are not necessary and can increase weight, fill them up so they don"t eat the other stuff they need and can be high in sugars etc. So consider getting some high quality pellets Alfalfa pellets are for young piggys, pregnant piggys and I think nursing piggies. Timothy hay pellets are for adults :) I prefer Oxbow their website allows you to find a local retailers we have two near us...but petsmart was not listed ;p

You only need to feed 1/8 cup of those pellets a day and 1 cup daily of veggies and romaine, green leaf or red leaf lettuce and unlimited Timothy hay. There is some great articles and chart under nutrition. Bpatters is a mod and has some great nutrition knowledge!!!

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
Oh and CUTE PIGGYS!!

BBGuinea

Cavy Slave
Thank you leopardjunkie,
I want whats best for these guinea pigs:) I learned after I bought the food that it wasn't the best, but luckly only bought a small bag, so once it runs out I will just buy the pellets. I am looking into buying the stuff to make one of these C&C cages for these boys. But until than I have some baby stuff like a baby fence play area, and pack n play that I plan to set up for them to be able to spend time outside of the aquarium until I can get the C&C cage built:) I have a big livingroom and can set those up out there for the 2 guinea pigs with food and toys. Can they be litter trained? Unsure about it, but would like to try:) Thanks again. I am always open to learn.

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I believe that you should buy the pellets now and start by mixes the new food and the old..If you wait. They may not eat the new food..I know that what is on my Oxbow guineapig food bag..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.