Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Male and Female same open cage, but separated.

SunflowerSSA
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I'm new about having a Guinea Pig as a pet and I have just one for now. Her name is Tuquinha and she is a 3 months old Angora Guinea Pig, and I would like to know if it would be ok if I get a male Guinea Pig on the same open cage, BUT separeted by a fence in the middle of the cage? I'm asking this because where I live there are only male ones available and I would like to get a company for my Tuquinha. Will this stress them out living on the same cage, seeing each other, but separeted by a fence?

Thanks! :)

Why don't you have a male neutered and house them together?

Tablo

Cavy Slave
Why don't you just neuter him? You'll still need to separate them for a few weeks, but then they can be together.

SunflowerSSA

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You CAN put them side by side in a big cage with a divider, but you'll need clamp-down lids on both sides if they're not neutered. And if one or the other were neutered, you wouldn't need to separate them anyway. A determined male can very easily climb or jump the grids to get to the female in heat, and can squeeze through a very small hole between the lid and the top of the grids if you don't have it well fastened down.

But he may not live so happily next to her -- some males do ok, others go nuts when the female is in heat, breaking their teeth on the grids, making all sorts of noise, and just being generally very unhappy at being so close to a female and unable to get to her.

Where do you live? Your city, not your address. We may be able to help you find another female or a neutered male.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You'd need to have a lid. I've heard about males climbing over grid fences to get to females.

SunflowerSSA

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think you'd be better off waiting for a female, too, but keep in mind that there's no guarantee that they will get along. There's always a chance that they won't so you need to be prepared to house them separately, just in case.

SunflowerSSA
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.