Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Cage Location

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Hi everybody! My guinea pigs, Jupi & Boo Boo have been living in a pet store cage in a bathtub in a bathroom we do not use anymore for the past two months, and I feel they deserve a C&C cage. My bunnies have a huge 4 h x 3 w x 4 l C&C condo I built in our living room, so the guinea pig's options are limited. I have the option of my room and the bathroom. My room would be hard to persuade, and would be right by a window and I would be sleeping nearby to the cage which may disturb my sleep.

The other option is the bathroom. It is a guest bathroom we rarely -ever- use, usually just to wash our hands in the tap now and then. The guinea pigs have had their cage in the bathtub there since we had them, and now that I have some free time, I'd like to upgrade them. We recently went out and bought a wooded board to cover he expanse of the bathtub and use the tub area as storage underneath the cage. The cage is currently sitting on the board and is about equivalent to a 1 x 3, but the board can fit as measured a 2 x 4 c&c cage. There is a window higher up on another wall, so there is enough light and ventilation, and it in located in a moderate activity area. The location is very suitable for me, as the tiling is much easier to clean than my own carpet and no stress about spills or accidents.

So the question is: Do you think the cage being elevated on a board in the unused bathroom would make for a suitable living place? They would have a 2 x 4. No humidity or drastic temperature changes, I think it would be okay. Just wanted to get your opinions here before I went out and bought anything. Thank you all in advance, have a good night. I have included recent pictures of their general setup. New Cage Location

aemsva

Cavy Slave
I think that bathroom's can actually become quite cold. I think that it should be alright to house them in there in order for them to have a bigger cage if you think your bathroom is the same temperature as the rest of your house. Just make sure that on the plywood you put down a towel or something thick to insulated between the cold tub and the cage bottom for the cavies so they are not so cold and provide them with lots of places to snuggle and get warm if they find it cold. Good luck!

NorthernLight

Cavy Slave
aemsva had some good concerns and suggestions. I would like to add, please be sure to make up for the piggies not being in a central location by giving them extra floor time. But I think getting a C&C cage for your piggies' already established ownership of the bathroom is a great idea. :) Good luck and please post some pics when you get the new cage!

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the responses! Yes, I have decided to use the bathroom for the new location, and will certainly provide warm cozies and such for them. Any more suggestions? :) Thanks again

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think the bathroom will be too small for a C&C Cage to be put in the bathroom.
Back when I was living with my mother I would place a blanket over my lone boar's cage. He learned to be quiet during the night. Both places have their downfalls.
Your bedroom and bathroom create drafts and changes in temperature that can hinder your guinea pig's health. Is there NO WAY the guinea pigs cannot move into the living room?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I wanted to add, do remove your candle. The chemicals used to make the scents are harmful to you and your guinea pigs.

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
The bathtub area can fit a 2 x 4 cage, which meets the standards and is much better than their current situation. I will definitley remove the candle, it hasn't been used for over a year and I've kinda forgotten it... Last time I used it was when my first bunny passed away in 2011, so it hasn't been used around the pigs, nor would I ever think of using it around them. Thanks again.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
The bathtub area can fit a 2 x 4 cage, which meets the standards and is much better than their current situation. I will definitley remove the candle, it hasn't been used for over a year and I've kinda forgotten it... Last time I used it was when my first bunny passed away in 2011, so it hasn't been used around the pigs, nor would I ever think of using it around them. Thanks again.

I would of never thought a tub would be big enough to fit a 2x4 C&C. I guess my next worry would be the grids slipping on the tub's surface.

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Actually, I bought a wood piece a week ago measured to lie just on top of the tub itself, with the tub area for storage and the cage sitting on the above board. :p No grids slipping there! Any more suggestions? I really apprieicate it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.