Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Does it take a long time to clean a 2x4?

sakee

Cavy Slave
Ugh, it's taking me an hour to clean up after these 2 guys. I take the fleece outside and brush it off with a rubber brush. Maybe a handvac would make things quicker?
Please share your tips to make this more speedy!

Thanks

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
For spot cleaning? I use a dust pan and brush, but a lot of people use handvacs. I spot clean twice a day, and it takes me 30 seconds, tops.

If you mean for your once a seek washing, it takes me (I timed it!) 15 minutes. That's for getting the pigs out, taking out the stuff in the cage, shaking it out, and putting it in the wash. It takes an extra 5 to put in new fleece, and set everything back up.

jade_14

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x3 with a 1x2 loft, so if anything I think it would take me longer as I have 2 levels and I have fleece on the ramp. It only takes me about 1/2 an hour weekly to do a full cleaning. I scoop out all the poops and as much hay as I can get, go outside and shake the fleece off, throw it in the washer, throw out puppy pads, then I spray down the cage with water/vinegar to get out any pee smell and wipe it all down. Then I line it with puppy pads and cover it with fleece. I also have to put all her stuff back in and fill up her litter box and whatnot, so I think 1/2 an hour sounds pretty good!
Are you doing spot cleans daily? I guess Gracie is pretty much litter trained so I don't have too many poops to clean up, maybe that's what is taking you so long?

sakee

Cavy Slave
I guess it must be that I am brushing off the fleece. I'm worried about hay and hair messing up the washing machine. I will just try shaking it out instead.
I do spot cleaning every day

BedfordCavies

Cavy Slave
I have a 2 by 5 cage and I timed myself last night and it took me 20 minutes to do a full clean. I spot clean twice a day scooping the poop, changing the food bowl and water dispenser and replacing the newspaper in the kitchen (15 min each time). I do a total cleaning every 4 days. What are your steps?

This is what I do:
1) Take out the pigs and put in their run.
2) Take out all the toys.
3) Take out litter pan, dump in garbage bag and spray with vinegar & water mixture, wipe and dry.
4) Shake out debris from fleece onto newspaper lining, roll up newspaper and toss. Use hand broom and dust pan to sweep up remaining debris.
5) Spray down cage bottom with vinegar & water solution. Wipe up.
6) Line cage with newspaper, towels and fleece.
7) Line litter box with newspaper and fleece.
8) Put toys back in.
9) Put pigs back in.
10) Throw dirty laundry in wash.

The most time saving thing I do is keeping all my supplies stored in the cage stand underneath so I don't have to go looking for items. :)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
It takes me about a half an hour to do a full cleaning on my two 2x7 cages. Having fleece pads really cuts down on the time it takes!! Also I use a towel or woven run under my hay which makes it easier to just shake that off than to pick it all of the fleece.

I take the guinea pigs and their stuff out.
Fold the fleece up then bring it outside.
Shake the fleece and towel off.
Sweep up any hay or poop that fell out of the fleece.
Spray down and wipe off the cage floor.
Replace new fleece pad, guinea pigs and their things.
Repeat for second cage...
DONE! =D

jellyburp

Cavy Slave
it takes me a maximum of about ten to fifteen minutes to clean my 2x4 cage. I dont use fleece instead I use kaytee soft and cozy bedding it has great odor control. i use a cat litter scooper and scoop the bedding into a garbage bag and replace the bedding.hope this helps.:cheerful:

rachelappel

Cavy Slave
i have a custom built cage, but its about the same size as a 2x4 cage. what i do is spot clean twice a day, then cage the fleece bedding every other day (i have 3 pigs in there). then i wipe down and sanitize the cage and put new fleece in there. i also have 2 litter boxes than i dump and refill with litter. when i take the dirty fleece out i just shake it off the back patio and sweep off any remainders on there. the entire process takes me maybe 25 minutes, on the long end, which doesn't include wash time, but i have enough towels and fleece where i only do one load a week of dirty pig laundry. an hour seems like a really long time, but if you're getting off every last ounce of hay off, i could see where it would take you longer. we have a pretty good washer so i don't need to get mine super clean, but i also do an extra rinse on every load i do. if you're worried about the hay that gets everywhere, you could put a litter box under each hay rack, that's what i do with mine. which also makes it easier as that's pretty much where they poop lol
hopefully you'll be able to cut down on the time because that is super long! spot cleaning at least once a day should help cut down on the time it takes when you do your "big" cage cleaning.

GuineaPigPerson

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x5 with a loft. It takes me a long time to to clean it. I shake the poop off the towels and fleece into the corroplast bottom, put them in the wash then I sweep, wipe the corroplast with vinegar, and set everything back up. It's hard for me to lay the fleece down because I have to tuck it under the towels.

coconutty78

Cavy Slave
I find everyone has their own method and the more you do it you find your groove and what works best for you. I take everything out brush down the fleece to get excess off, then do a sweep of the coroplast and then a wipe down. Then i put in puppy pads, fresh towel, clean fleece clip it into place and bob's your uncle....your done lol. I find even with a horribly bad back it really doesn't take that long. Oh and of course 2 spot cleanings a day which is nothing but a mere second :) Hope you find what works successfully for you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.