Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Making a fleece cage liner...help!!

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Okay, so, I know there's tutorials on here and a couple of youtube videos, but I do think I'm genuinely quite stupid because I can't get my head around them at all. I've already tried to follow them once and messed up so bad that that one's being scrapped and I'm going to make some pee pads from it instead. Can somebody tell me if I'm right in thinking this is how you make a fleece cage liner?

1. Measure your fabric for the bottom piece, width and length. Add an inch or two on for when you're sewing.
2. Do the same with the coro walls. Double the measurements and add a bit for sewing.
3. Sew your two longest sides to the bottom piece, good sides down (so the seam is underneath when putting it in your cage - this is probably where I'm wrong).
4. Sew the two shorter side pieces on, same way.
5. I don't even know about how you'd go about sewing the corners, I've confused myself :(

Can somebody please help me with this? I'm not a great sewer so clear, simple intructions that a 5 year old could get their head around (How silly do I feel) would be great. Sorry I'm a pain, I know there's tutorials but I really don't understand them. But I want to get this done so my piggy can be moved from his rubbish shop bought cage to his c&c asap :/

That's OK! Sometimes things have to made simpler!

Well, do you want to pillowcase it? (Sew it on 3 sides, flip inside out, and put in the absorbent layer) If so, then you're right. What's hard about the corners? When you're sewing and you get to the point where you wan to make the turn, lift up the thing that keeps the fabric down, turn 90 degrees, and continue. Let me know if you still don't understand...

Making a fleece cage liner...help!!this is the basic shape you will end up with.. As for the corners.. Match the ends up and pin.. I'm sure there is a YouTube video to show this.. Good luck :)

That's OK! Sometimes things have to made simpler!

Well, do you want to pillowcase it? (Sew it on 3 sides, flip inside out, and put in the absorbent layer) If so, then you're right. What's hard about the corners? When you're sewing and you get to the point where you wan to make the turn, lift up the thing that keeps the fabric down, turn 90 degrees, and continue. Let me know if you still don't understand...

No, I was gonna keep everything separate, like fleece liner on top and then underneath all that the towels and other absorbant bits, but not all in one. I'm so confused!! And what I didn't understand is how you sew the edges of the 'outside pieces', like in the above photo (I'm not good at sewing at all lol)

View attachment 32016this is the basic shape you will end up with.. As for the corners.. Match the ends up and pin.. I'm sure there is a YouTube video to show this.. Good luck :)

I think I can probably do this bit without messing up (I have once already though, I stretched the fleece too much when cutting), it's the sewing together the loose corners that will get me even more stuck lol. Wish I could afford to just buy these things! I haven't sewn properly since I was about 9 (so like 10 years ago) and have just borrowed my grandma's sewing machine today, a big indicator of how this is going to go...lol

Sorry. You're lost me. I'm thinking about something else... I'm going to have to let @peeweesPiggyPalace take over this one... Good luck!

Sorry. You're lost me. I'm thinking about something else... I'm going to have to let @peewee sPiggyPalace take over this one... Good luck!

I'm that useless :( lol sorry!! Thank-you anyway. I would try and do a pillow case one like you suggested but I will confuse the hell out of myself so it'll be less costly for me in fleece if I try and keep it simple - the replacement pieces already need to be bought for failed attempts lol

Once you have piece as pictured.. Take the edge of the pieces closest to each other.. Right sides together and you will get it :)

Once you have piece as pictured.. Take the edge of the pieces closest to each other.. Right sides together and you will get it :)

Ok :) Then you just sew through the back of them when they're tacked? I will post a picture and let you know how it goes! I hope I do it right, the fleece I've got lined up next was really expensive and pretty lol

Yes.. If you look up how to sew a corner you might be able to do it easier. Remember... It's thread and you can take it out.. If you get frustrated.. Stop.. Scream if you must.. And take a little break :)

Yes.. If you look up how to sew a corner you might be able to do it easier. Remember... It's thread and you can take it out.. If you get frustrated.. Stop.. Scream if you must.. And take a little break :)

Thank-you very much for your advice :) if worst comes to worst and I can't do it I'll just have to lay the fleece in, but I wanted it to tuck in to the edges properly and lay flat lol such a perfectionist

You will get it :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.