Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What kind of weight is 'average' for a 6 month old GP?

P

peachygrl

What kind of weight is 'average' for a 6 month old GP?

I smuggled my boys into the post office lobby after hours to weigh them on the scale (yes, you laugh - but I don't have a scale ;) ). Harry weighs 3.7 ounces and BedHead weighs 4.3 ounces. They seem awfully small - is this normal? I was just wondering. I am weighing them to dose them with Ivermectin @ home.

Amy

T

ThreeLittlePiggies

Weighing Pigs

I am not sure if your guinea pigs are small, or that mine are just big. My guinea pigs range from 2-4 months old, I am guessing on the little one only being a few months old. My 4 month old girl weighs just over 3/4 of a pound. I would say my little one, BaaBaa, probably weighs just under a half a pound.

I have noticed that it almost seems overnight that one piggie will plump up in what seems like less than a day, and then a few weeks later my middle piggie did the same thing. It has been a little bit and my little one still has not hit that "freshman 15" phase as I am calling it.

As soon as my middle pig grew overnight I noticed she was challenging the oldest piggie for dominance. It appears that dominance shifts almost weekly. As they are in a stable enviornment with everything that they may ever possibly want, I guess I figured dominance would not be so wishy-washy, for a lack of a better term. The little one just sits back and watches.

Maybe it is just that different breeds of guinea pigs hit their growth spurts at different times.

L

Laura0626

Re: What kind of weight is 'average' for a 6 month old GP?

That seems extremely tiny. Are you sure of their ages? My girls at six months were 1.5 pounds- and they were considered to be "on the small side". Maybe there was something wrong with the scale? New-Borns weigh 3.7 ounces. Not six-month-olds.

~*Laura, Pumpkin, and Nikki*~

P

peachygrl

Re: What kind of weight is 'average' for a 6 month old GP?

I dunno. It's a postal scale so I assume it's pretty accurate. Although I did use the automated digital one rather than the old-fashioned slide scale. I know they can't be that many pounds, they're just not that large.

E

Evansandpigs

Well i think.....

Hi i read in guineapig books that GPigs should NOT weigh under 40 grams at 2-3 months, cos something is wrong e.g the piggie is not eating much.

So a piggie at 6 months should weigh 90-100 grams. A fully grown guineapig at 12 months could weigh up to 1000 grams.

I hope i have helped ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.