Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels This is Going To Be Interesting.......

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!

OK, so a bit of background about my current cage setup.

I have a 2x4 connected to a 1x2 playpen area on the floor. The playpen is not on top of the cage, it is on the floor about 5 feet from the cage, connected by a ramp.

I realized how annoying this whole thing was to clean yesterday as well. Because of the setup, I was doing 2 loads of laundry instead of one and yada yada...... And it was very hard to spot clean because of the ramp and whatnot.

Well, yesterday I was thinking how easy it would be for me to get out some extra grids and use the Coroplast that I am using for the playpen and make a loft for the cage, that I could put on top of the cage instead of 5 feet away. And I could use the ramp I am right now in the cage as well.

So, my questions to you guys at this point are:

1: 18.5" and 36" are the dimensions of the playpen at this point. If I built a loft, what size would it need to be in grids to match those dimensions or be a few off? Could I build a 1x2, or should I do a 2x2, or what else?

2: Would you guys get rid of the playpen and make a loft? I am really leaning that way. My girls are very happy with their setup now though, but it would be practically the same for 1 and for 2 it would be so much more compact. And they would have more room for floor time in their room.

3: Because I have a 2x4 and want to add a loft, am I really going to be taking away a ton of room from the floor of the cage? My ramp is able to be tweaked at this point, and it is a bit shy of 1 grid in length. I can simply unhook it from the zip ties and bend the grids further to make more room. So would it be better to leave it a 2x4 connected to the playpen, or can I make a loft and it be the same thing?

4: What bedding should I use in the loft area if I do make it?

5: General tips and anything else about my situation.

6: The main question: At this point is it a good idea to convert the 1x2 playpen into a 1x2 loft that I can set on top of their cage, and take away a small bit of the 2x4's floor space?

Thank you all so much!

__

:)

tabikat55

Cavy Slave
Good Morning! I have a 2x4 base plus a 1x2 loft (kitchen). It works fine for my girls. I don't understand where you'd be taking anything from your base though if you are only turning the playpen to a loft? If I understand you correctly, your base is still 2x4.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Good Morning! I have a 2x4 base plus a 1x2 loft (kitchen). It works fine for my girls. I don't understand where you'd be taking anything from your base though if you are only turning the playpen to a loft? If I understand you correctly, your base is still 2x4.

Yes, my base is a 2x4, but the ramp size is what I was referring to. That won't take away to much space?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I was curious as to what to do with the playpen afterwards.....

Also, more replies please? People with lofts and without also.

tabikat55

Cavy Slave
Ahh now I understand. Check out my cage pic. I was able to put the ramp almost in the center of the cage. This way, the girls run laps around the perimeter of the cage. My loft was dropped about 2 inches and my ramp is 18 inches (made from a store bought cage). But since the grids are only 14 inches wide, I'd have the ramp resting on maybe a brick, using it as a step.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Ahh now I understand. Check out my cage pic. I was able to put the ramp almost in the center of the cage. This way, the girls run laps around the perimeter of the cage. My loft was dropped about 2 inches and my ramp is 18 inches (made from a store bought cage). But since the grids are only 14 inches wide, I'd have the ramp resting on maybe a brick, using it as a step.

Thanks so much! Also, what are the inner dimensions of your loft?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Take a look at my cage......I don't believe that the ramp takes away from overall space. In fact, the inclusion of the ramp gives my cavies far more exercise than they would get without it.

I have a very small area for a cage, but am planning to enlarge the cage to a 2x5......can fit one more grid-length into the space. The only other thing I would change about the cage is to enlarge the loft in some way because there is not enough room in the loft for two of them and they usually follow each other up to the litter box. Chester hogs the litter box and that leaves Maya to poop just outside it.

(broken link removed)

So would you say a loft is worth it then? I don't know what to do. I could extend to a 2x5 but right now a loft sounds a lot easier and better, as I am using the only space I could use for a 2x5 as storage.....

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
why not a 2x5 with a loft :D I would say it doesn't matter either way. A loft would be good, but more cage space means more room to run around.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
why not a 2x5 with a loft :D I would say it doesn't matter either way. A loft would be good, but more cage space means more room to run around.

Thanks, haha! I don't quite have enough material on hand for both.

A loft also extends there room to run around, plus they go up a ramp.

I am thinking that I will try it out as a Summer project sometime, and we will test it out and if they like it I can pitch the playpen. :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
It could be a future project perhaps. I would keep the play pen anyways. You might have another use for it? The pigs could even use it in a different room, for a change of scenery :D

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
It could be a future project perhaps. I would keep the play pen anyways. You might have another use for it? The pigs could even use it in a different room, for a change of scenery :D

Good idea! It is made out of grids and connectors...... I got it from PetCo. Blech.....

I have an eBay so that is an option. I may use it for storage though.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
you could sell it, but I would honestly keep it. Play pens are always useful for cage changes and things too. I have a play pen that's a 2x3 I make out of connectors for going outside, and for cage changes. I would keep it if you want to bring them outside :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
not connectors, grids and zip ties ! sorry. I made it so it folds down into a stack of grids too.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
not connectors, grids and zip ties ! sorry. I made it so it folds down into a stack of grids too.

I already have a playpen made out of 24 grids with zip ties, so I won't need another. This was a store bought playpen and I got it because it was the size of a loft.

Well, we got the Coroplast out and here is what we came up with:

We are going to have 2 1/2 inches of Coroplast on both ends for the walls, and 4 inches of Coroplast on the sides for walls.....

Will that work?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
^^See that question also please^^

This whole thing is going to be about 15 inches shorter in all than what they were in. The grids were bigger for the pen-- I hope this doesn't cause any problems!

So what do you think, will it cause problems?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Almost anything can work. Lots of people never use coroplast and get along just fine.

You've talked about several configurations, so this limited current information makes it a bit difficult to offer an opinion. Are you talking about the main level only......and for a 2x4 or 2x5?

I personally would not want the sides of the main level less than 6", but that's just my preference. Having them that high eliminates coro chewing, and keeps the cavies safe from accidentally getting a body part stuck in grids.

Now if you are referring to a loft, that's a different story. I think you really don't need 6" walls in a loft. If you notice, my loft grids are only 6 squares high which means that 3" coro sides would be just about right. I wanted the loft a bit lower to minimize this giant sized "thing" in my office. Yes, my coro walls in the loft are 6", but when I redo it, I'm going to make them shorter. I find that my cavies like the loft and seemingly would like to be able to see out of it without having to rear up on the sides. It also would permit better air circulation.

I an VERY pro-loft because of all the exercise my "kids" get running up and down the ramp. They simply wouldn't run that much even with a longer cage.

Sorry for being so ambiguous!

Yes, I was referring to the loft. I have a 2x4 base as the girl's main cage, and I want to build them a 1x2 loft, so unless I say otherwise, then I am referring to the loft.

What bedding are you using, and what do you use for ramp traction?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I really don't like the ramp I have. It is carpet rapped in a base layer of Fleece, and then I put U-Haul pads over it. It smells very quickly and I just..... I don't like it.

My girls LOVE laying in it and making it messy and stinky. So what can I put on it instead of Fleece to make it easier to clean and to where the girls won't find it soooo comfy......?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.