Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Exercise he doesn't seem to like floor time:(

kendalm7

Cavy Slave
i just bought my boy a play pen today and hes been in it for quite awhile and he just lays downs and walks around a bit:/ is that normal? hes only like 6 months old, i wish he would run around so he could get good exercise!!

i just bought my boy a play pen today and hes been in it for quite awhile and he just lays downs and walks around a bit:/ is that normal? hes only like 6 months old, i wish he would run around so he could get good exercise!!
Mine is 8 months old. She does the same thing. Jelly Beans just sits there and does nothing :( I hope someone can give us some advice.

Even if he doesn't run around each floor session, it's still nice for him to explore a different area. Being in the same cage everyday must get a bit dull for them.

I like to put their veggies all around the floor time area, so they have to search for them. I also make sure to add tunnels so they know they can dart somewhere for safety.

I'll put down an old blanket and the piggies would just have all kinds of adventures under it!

My piggy Borat loves to explore tunnels, so setting up different configurations is one good way to make sure he moves. He'll go through again and again. I think he was a lab rat in a previous life.

like @ThePigAlchemist said, it's easier for them to play if they have another pig to play with. it's hard to run around and chase if there's no one to chase after. the other thing you might want to think about is creating an interesting obstacle course - empty boxes, little ramps, crumpled pieces of paper, paper bags, etc, and hide little bits of his favorite veggies all around to encourage him to explore and wander. you could also get inside the play pen with him if there's room) and show him how to play. i adopted a feral cat, and because she was so young, and had almost no time with her litter mates, she really didn't (and still doesn't) know how to play. i think animals learn how to play from each other. lol

thankyou so much everyone i got a lot of great ideas! i cant wait till tomorrow! and piggies like that even single piggies like a blanket piece? i feel like harvey will just lay on it not go under:/

Put veggies under the blanket and prop it up somehow. I use a tunnel

Normally durring floor time, I get in with my pigs. They enjoy walking underneath my legs and trying to climb on me. Plus they love the attention, so I gues it is like a combination of lap time and floor time.

Personally, My husband wont allow a second one if I have to pay for it :(. I know she needs a friend. So I give her a lot of attention the best I can. I researched online for adoption but there just none in NW Wyoming.

Normally durring floor time, I get in with my pigs. They enjoy walking underneath my legs and trying to climb on me. Plus they love the attention, so I gues it is like a combination of lap time and floor time.

I do the same thing. My girls really like it when I sit in the play area with them. As long as I am in with them they run around, explore and eat some hay. As soon as I get out they come over to the side of the pen and beg to go back to their cage. A couple of days ago I had put Zoe on my lap and soon Abbey climbed up on her own and snuggled in behind Zoe and layed down. Then she moved in between me and Zoe, lay down and made these contented cooing sounds. She stayed for a long time before climbing down and going to the litter box. I was pretty excited. Sitting in with them gives them the opportunity to interact with you on their terms. It is fun to see what they really think of you.

That's actually how I got Charlie to take food out of my hand, I set with him during floor time, and allowed him to come to me for the food.... It really helps to interact with them. I'm planning that tomorrow too, with the new boys too!

Mine took a few sessions to be comfortable during floor time. The first few times, they just hid in their tunnel. A few days ago, they actually started exploring and running around.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.