Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Pumpkin doesn't like his nails done

pumpkinsowner

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Pumpkin is always very squirmy when getting his nails done and he doesn't like his feet being held. At this point, the only way to get him to stay still is to feed him treats constantly! He is also like this for baths. Any tips? Thanks!

I think it’ll always be a struggle and something he doesn’t like as mine don’t either. Some things that work better for me are having 2 people, one to hold him/give him treats and one to clip the nails. One of the best ways to make it easier is to distract him with veggies and feed them to him while clipping the nails. Hold him firmly on your chest or lap, even on a surface, just make him feel as secure as you can. Good luck!

My girls are squirmy as well and Nyx is super nervous still, so I had a lot of luck with getting them pieces of lettuce while I trimmed their nails. I also found it handy having both the normal fingernail clippers for humans and also a set of the scissor type you'd use on a cat. Because for the front nails, some can be tricky to get with the one set so then I'll use the other ones instead. Looking at my pig Brownie since her nails curve slightly and I always have difficulty with one of the front side nails lol

*edit* Also having a small towel to hold them has helped before too, though I usually do the lettuce bit now.

Mine is the same. She moves so quickly I’m afraid she’ll tear a nail. One thing that works is to hold her around the stomach, left her up and press her back to my chest. She sticks her feet and spreads her toes to balance. If I’m quick, I can get a few nails trimmed before she starts dog paddling. Then we take a snack break and try again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.