Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites How old do pigs have to be to be treated with Ivermectin?

sonyajin

Cavy Slave
I have two guinea pigs and they're both a month old. I'm 99% sure they have mites, or some form a parasite. They scratch every day like a dog. It looks very distressing so I want to treat them with Ivermectin. I'm not sure though, if a month is old enough. Also, I know that it's very important to give them the exact dosage so you don't overdose them. If I go to the vet, will they weigh the guinea pigs or something and give me the exact amount? Sorry for the questions but I'm a first time pig owner and not familiar with mites ..

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It doesn't go by age, it goes by weight. They need to weigh 350 grams for ivermectin treatment. But if they've got a severe mite infestation, you may need to take them to the vet, who can give you a prescription medication that's safe at an earlier age.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.