Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine White sticky discharge/urine?

YoPiggies

Cavy Slave
Hi all -

Embarrassed that I've had so many posts in the past two days. I am an incredibly anxious new mom, apparently. After giving my piggies a few weeks to settle in, I've started trying to handle them more regularly. I picked one of them up today, and when I put her back in my cage I notice that she'd left a thick white substance on my shirt. It looked like a cross between urine and discharge. It dried to be kind of hard, but there wasn't very much of it. I did rub it between my fingers and it didn't feel particularly gritty, both in its wet and its dry states.

Initially I wasn't 100% sure that both piggies were girls, and I had a brief panic that it was boar glue, but I sexed them both today and I am basically positive that both are indeed female. I've been feeding both a lot of spring mix lately, which includes romaine lettuce among red leaf and a few other types of green. Could this be causing the white stuff? I also feed them Supreme Pet Foods Gerty Mix, although my bag of Oxbow Essentials Young Guinea Pig pellets just came in the mail today and I will be switching them over to that, since they are only three months old and still need alfalfa-based pellets (or so I hear). I also feed them Oxbow Western Timothy Hay and a little bit of Oxbow Orchard Grass.

All appears to be normal in other areas - they are getting along great, and I actually just switched them over to fleece bedding today and they both have been popcorning the whole day, including the one who left the mysterious white stuff. Doesn't look like a sick girl to me, but I would love the input of somebody with more guinea pig experience!

Thanks so much!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Females do lose a mucus plug when they come into heat, which is about every 14-16 days. It's possible that's what you saw. Had it been boar glue, it would have dried hard as a rock, and been thoroughly stuck to whatever it was on.

I'd take them off romaine and see what happens -- some pigs do well on it, and others definitely excrete calcium if they eat it. Try red or green leaf lettuce and see what happens.

Did you read Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig More than you ever wanted to know about pig genitalia there.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Females do lose a mucus plug when they come into heat, which is about every 14-16 days.

They do? I've never seen it when cleaning Ginger's cage...

More than you ever wanted to know about pig genitalia there.

lol

YoPiggies

Cavy Slave
You know, another member of the forum suggested that Rosie (the one who left the discharge) might be in heat - yesterday, Pearl, my other piggy, kept sniffing her rear end and following her around, and Rosie was making this odd purring/rumbling noise at her. Today all was back to normal between them, so I didn't think much of it, but a mucus plug wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility at all. Definitely plan to cool it on the romaine (maybe I could stand to eat some myself, though). Do you guys have any suggestions of vegetables that tend to be hits? I have the nutrition charts saved, but there are so many choices I just don't know where to start!

BingoandBrownie

Cavy Slave
Your guinea pig may have a bladder infection.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.