Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage is this hutch suitable for my piggys and is the dirt with hay on it bad ?

maggieweir

Cavy Slave
is this hutch ok for two females ... ps i only have dirt in my backyard so i have to put a lot of hay at the bottom is this bad i love all my 4 piggys and do what whats best for then. i have built a very large/strong gate to keep my dogs / predators away and I'm also in the process of building a roof over their hutches ... is the dirt bad for them i do make sure there always lots of hay on top of it /they also have upstairs and do use it please give me any advise or could you show pics/explaine hows your outdoor hutch is and whats on the bottom!

Attachments

292674_418593284832851_100000465497074_1638972_1224068429_n.jpg 382855_335307416494772_100000465497074_1386584_1445425991_n.jpg

Raine59

Cavy Slave
It's hard to tell how big it is from the picture. What are the dimensions of the part that sits on the ground and the enclosed part?

maggieweir

Cavy Slave
its 1.41m width x 1.19m depth x 1.05 height..... also what do you think about the dirt and putting heaps of hay on the bottom ?

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I've seen those hutches. They're very nice (and expensive!). I think the floor area is fine for 2 pigs, my concern is being on the dirt. Dirt can harbor a lot of bacteria. There was just a post on GuineaLynx from someone about her cage floor. She has a wire grid floor, and puts the
non-slip shelf liner made of rubber over it to protect their feet. The poop stays on top, and the urine goes right through. The air flow is great, the pigs don't sit on wet bedding, and she washes it in the sink every week so it doesn't smell. She said her pigs don't chew on it, either, which is the only other concern with that flooring. See here;(broken link removed) Is that something you can try?

maggieweir

Cavy Slave
yea i could give that try out thanks

BlueButterfly

Cavy Slave
Hay really isn't absorbent at all, it ends up smelling really quickly. It's better as food then bedding, and guinea pigs are probably a lot less likely to eat it if it's all gross. What Petlovr said sounds like a really good idea.

maggieweir

Cavy Slave
Does any one think this will work is this hutch suitable for my piggys and  is the dirt with hay on it bad ?

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
I hate to be the bad guy here, but is this for a run or a cage? Most people on Cavy Cages have found that it's actually better to keep guinea pigs indoors then out, for a number of reasons.

Also, with dirt for a back ground, I would be concerned about mites, as well as dust from the dirt sweeping up into their noses and causing URI's. Just a thought! :)

maggieweir

Cavy Slave
if its cold they do come in as i do have indoor hutches. and thats why I'm trying to make it better for them I'm goingin to take a photo tomorrow of their hole run space so everyone can give me some tips in upgrading their space thanks for the advice

maggieweir

Cavy Slave
I'm going to try (broken link removed) s way but I'm not sure where to buy the grids in melbourne australia?

pinky

Cavy Slave
If it's only while their supervised outdoors, I'd have them on a grassy spot in partial shade so they can graze and stay out of the sun. If you're considering keeping them outside overnight in there, it doesn't look very sturdy to me and I wouldn't keep outdoors where snakes, insects and determined predators can get at them.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Every time I think of Australia I think of those scary spiders and snakes.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
If it's only while their supervised outdoors, I'd have them on a grassy spot in partial shade so they can graze and stay out of the sun. If you're considering keeping them outside overnight in there, it doesn't look very sturdy to me and I wouldn't keep outdoors where snakes, insects and determined predators can get at them.

She's from Australia, @pinky. Lots of dust and dirt there. Not much grass.

@maggieweir How hot does it get there?

maggieweir

Cavy Slave
umm i live in the city (melbourne ) so their is really no dirt or dust just grass its just because our grass died gee WE DONT GET SNAKES IN THE CITY! and the highest is around 30 AND YES I DO TAKE MY PIGGYS IN SIDE WHEN IT GETS OVER 22C

maggieweir

Cavy Slave
will those rocks be better than the dirt and are the safe for guinea pigs? is this hutch suitable for my piggys and  is the dirt with hay on it bad ? is this hutch suitable for my piggys and  is the dirt with hay on it bad ? layer out all over the ground and the hutch one them ?

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
@maggieweir Ok. I don't know much about Australia, I've never traveled. When I think of Australia I think of the hot outback with a lot of wild and dangerous animals. I know not all of Australia is that way; that's why I was asking. I'm sorry if it came off like an attack. :(

Edit:

Now there's an idea, but unfortunately I can't answer about the rocks. I honestly don't know. I'm sure someone else will be able to come up with a better response though! :)

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I would think those rocks would hurt their feet, and the big ones can crush paws and such if they were unsteady.

maggieweir

Cavy Slave
thats ok its just every time people hear australia they think we have dingos,snakes,dogs kangaroos runingg around every where on red soil but where i live it just all houses/parks shops/busy roads :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.