Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What temp is good for pigs outside? I have some questions about outdoor enviorments.

Luna8

Cavy Slave
Hey, everyone!

I've got some questions about giving my guineas some time in the fresh air, and the tasty treats of grass. I'm basically asking about the temperature and all that. Here are some questions:

1) What's the perfect temperature for my guinea pigs? It's 61 degrees right now.

2) I'm worried about the things they are allowed and NOT allowed to eat. I have dandillions, clover-like stuff, it's like a different typ of clover, and, I have two different typs of grass: the long, green tasty spindly kind, and the thicker kind that you can blow like a flute, lol.

3) What kind of outside enviorment do I need for them? There are so many outside areas I've seen. Just like my guinea pigs cages, I can make them a little cube-pen that I can move around, put them in the shade or the sun, and move them to frsh grass blades.

4) Should I put their water-bottle on the side, incase they get a little thirsty?

5) If it's 61 degrees, would it be better to put the cube enclosure in the sun or shade? Or does it not matter?

6) Sense guinea pigs are prey animals, should I put a little bow or their rainbow house in so they don't feel open and vulnerable?

I hope someone knows the answere to any of my questions, I never take chances with my piggley wiggleys!

Thanks in advance,
Luna:love:.

Hey, everyone!

I've got some questions about giving my guineas some time in the fresh air, and the tasty treats of grass. I'm basically asking about the temperature and all that. Here are some questions:

1) What's the perfect temperature for my guinea pigs? It's 61 degrees right now.

2) I'm worried about the things they are allowed and NOT allowed to eat. I have dandillions, clover-like stuff, it's like a different typ of clover, and, I have two different typs of grass: the long, green tasty spindly kind, and the thicker kind that you can blow like a flute, lol.

3) What kind of outside enviorment do I need for them? There are so many outside areas I've seen. Just like my guinea pigs cages, I can make them a little cube-pen that I can move around, put them in the shade or the sun, and move them to frsh grass blades.

4) Should I put their water-bottle on the side, incase they get a little thirsty?

5) If it's 61 degrees, would it be better to put the cube enclosure in the sun or shade? Or does it not matter?

6) Sense guinea pigs are prey animals, should I put a little bow or their rainbow house in so they don't feel open and vulnerable?

I hope someone knows the answere to any of my questions, I never take chances with my piggley wiggleys!

Thanks in advance,
Luna:love:.

The ideal temperature is between 65-75 degrees, anything over 85 can be dangerous for them. You can use storage cubes to make an enclosure for them. I use the top metal half of a pet store cage because my pig would rather plop down and munch on grass than run around lol.

I would definitely offer some sort of hidey for them, they shouldn't be in direct sunlight for too long when it's warm out. Probably not a pigloo because there is little air flow inside. Draping a blanket over the top of the cage will offer them enough shade.

I think it would be nice to offer them a water bottle just in case. Have fun and be sure to take pigtures to share!

I'd only have them out there while you're with them. They'd be a sitting target for predators if they were out there alone..... Clover and dandelions are high in calcium so I would only allow them to graze occasionally so they don't eat too much of it.

You can get some fantastic ideas from the internet on two story cages, the top being like a regular cage, and the bottom (With a ramp so they can get down) is large mesh, allowing grass to poke through. Both types of your grass are fine, they love both. Keep them OUT of the sun, if you can, it's the heat that kills them, not the cold. They originated in cold climates, so if your worried, just put in some cozies or something like that, never heat packs or anything. I have expirience from my own outdoor cage, which I built from scratch, and my pigs love it!

so in the south where it gets up to 80 or 90 is there a way to keep them cool?
or would it better to just bring the grass in for them. Been wanting to do this
but not sure how?

Thank you all very, very much!

Lillypearlandme-
I will make sure they don't get over-heated, but I don't think the sun is too warm right now, so what if I just put the cage half in sun and half in shade?

Ha-ha! And I was always worried that they'd be too cold out there! Lol, I stand corrected!

Thanks,
Luna8

Last edited:
where are you at?

but not sure how?

80 or 90 is too hot to have them outdoors. I'd keep them inside during the hot weather.

I'm on the Coast of Oregon. It's hard to tell what the weather is gonna be like there.

i think i knew the answer to that on its just that i wanted to let them be outside
I thought there would be a way to let them be outside and comfortable.
Because outside I can give them more room.

I did some research and it looks like wild violets are potentially toxic to guineas.

It's 52 degrees right now and I wanna take them outside. Is this too cold? It's sunny in some areas, it's not very cold and it's not very hot.

Luna8

i think i knew the answer to that on its just that i wanted to let them be outside
I thought there would be a way to let them be outside and comfortable.
Because outside I can give them more room.

You don't plan to house them out there, do you? I'm sure a lot of people on here can tell you about guinea pigs that were killed by predators while they were outdoors. A family up here had two guinea pigs housed outdoors in what they thought was a predator proof hutch. Not only did a predator break into the hutch, it killed one of the them. The other was permanently traumatized and never fully recovered.

but not sure how?

You can always try to take them out in the mornings or in the evenings when it is cooler.

Or maybe a shaded area with some cool stones or something if it's always hot.

You don't plan to house them out there, do you? I'm sure a lot of people on here can tell you about guinea pigs that were killed by predators while they were outdoors. A family up here had two guinea pigs housed outdoors in what they thought was a predator proof hutch. Not only did a predator break into the hutch, it killed one of the them. The other was permanently traumatized and never fully recovered.
For me this was never meant to be something permanent, just as playtime. Because if i did playtime indoors playtime it wouldnt be playtime i would just be moving them.

I had a couple of questions along these lines as well. If the op would not mind....

My boys have never been outside in the grass. I give them fresh grass on occasion after I have washed it. But I am worried I would be exposing them to parasites (flees, mites, etc) if I let them play in the grass. I made an upside down c and c so that could play in the grass and still be covered but I have never used it for the reasons I listed.

Thanks in advance

I was thinking about doing this and adding something like mesh for added protection
I had a couple of questions along these lines as well. If the op would not mind....

My boys have never been outside in the grass. I give them fresh grass on occasion after I have washed it. But I am worried I would be exposing them to parasites (flees, mites, etc) if I let them play in the grass. I made an upside down c and c so that could play in the grass and still be covered but I have never used it for the reasons I listed.

Thanks in advance

The best temperate for pigs is about 65 to 75 degrees. You also want to make sure the ground is dry and remember, they are walking around low to the ground. You have to make sure that pigs don't overheat because it happens fast and easily. I don't recommend taking them outside if its more than 75 outside. Even at 75 degrees, don't leave them in the sun or out for too long. Give them plenty of shade.

They can eat those things but if your pigs are like mine, all they will eat is the grass. Also, I believe dandelions are high in calcium.

Focus more on shade then sun. Also, allow them a couple of nice places inside the enclosure to hide. They may be scared to be outside. Out of three pigs, two of mine liked the outdoors. One is very scared outside. Also, some small birds get upset when the guinea pigs are out which scares the pigs. Don't forget about birds of prey. If you have ever seen a prey bird go after a small animal, you know they come out of nowhere and attack so fast that theres nothing you could do about it. Make sure the enclosure has a lid, is very sturdy, and always stay outside with them and by them.

I do and I would recommend it. They seem to enjoy playtime better if they have water around.
You could put it in mostly shade with a little sun?

Yes. Give them a hidey house or two. Also, if they don't like being outside, just cut some grass and bring it indoors for them.

Taking the pigs out can be really fun but you do have to be smart about it. Happy spring!

I am in Oregon too and it was so beautiful out today. I took my 4 pigs out for about an hour today. They absolutely loved it. I just made cages for them with extra grids I had and watched them so no one, especially our big boy didnt try to escape :)

It didn't rain at all! I even opened the windows! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.