Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids Okay to use zip ties?

MeggiePeggyMom

Cavy Slave
A friend very generously gave me a bunch of grids that she didn't need, but she didn't have the connectors. Is it okay to use the grids with zip ties? I was thinking of using the grids as extra fencing on a single level cage. Thanks for your help!

scarlettraven

Cavy Slave
I only use zip ties for my cage, and have never used connectors. I find it so much easier!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yes, many people use zip ties to connect the grids to make their cage. I also have a few 2X4 grids zip tied together but accordian folded up to store that I use as a holding pen when I'm cleaning cages or as a quick setup for a quarantine cage.

MeggiePeggyMom

Cavy Slave
Great! I didn't want to have to buy connectors since I have a ton of zip ties, lol!

karwask

Cavy Slave
Hi Scarlettraven,

I'm just putting together my enclosure and want to have a grid floor under the coroplast. I'm finding that the connectors will likely make the floor uneven and maybe even poke through so I'm not happy about this (and planned to also use zip ties for added security). So, obviously, your cage is holding together just fine with only zip ties? Do you have a grid floor or are your grids simply surrounding the coroplast? I bought the little ones. What size zip ties did you use?

thanks,

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
karwask, are you planning to have your cage up off the floor? If it's on the floor, there's really no reason to include a grid floor under the coroplast. It's mainly to provide stability if a cage is off the floor.

Tangled

Cavy Slave
My boyfriend made our new cage with zip ties only, and it is just as sturdy as when we'd used the connectors. I'm not sure exactly what size ties he used, but they're a medium size.
Our cage has two levels, and the upper level does have a floorof grids under the coroplast. There is more support to it than just the zip ties, and before we revised the design and added the supports, the upper level was sagging slightly, but there haven't been any issues with the ties themselves.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
You want to use the zip ties that are at least 8 inches long, because they are thicker and stronger. When you make the floor with grids and zip ties, just make sure the connection is to the side, not on top of the grid. The indentation on the coroplast should be minimal. You could also line the bottom with cardboard, then put the coroplast on top so the zip ties don't indent into the coroplast. Cut the cardboard an inch shorter on each side so you can't see it on the bottom.

karwask

Cavy Slave
karwask, are you planning to have your cage up off the floor? If it's on the floor, there's really no reason to include a grid floor under the coroplast. It's mainly to provide stability if a cage is off the floor.

Thanks Cavymama,

Good question and I totally agree. If it was going to be on floor, no worries at all. But, as it is, it will be on a table and if I don't have the floor, if it slips over then extreme danger as the grid falls and the coroplast tray does whatever it will do = an accident waiting to happen. So, feel better knowing that there will be a solid floor.

karwask

Cavy Slave
Thanks Petlovr,

Yeah, I was wondering if just putting another piece of coroplast or cardboard, wood, whatever under the coroplast tray would be sufficient to level off the sticking up connectors and keep them from poking through and it probably would.

lissie

Cavy Slave
If you're using grids as base, it might be better to not use the connectors at all and only use zip ties.

Another option is to point all the connectors down, but then the cage will kind of be floating on the table.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.