Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Depressed guinea pig

nousername

Cavy Slave
I recently adopted two guinea pigs from a rescue. One is around 1 year old and another one is a Senior, 6 years old and last night Senior passed away.

And ever since, we removed Senior's body. The other has acted all depressed. He just sits in the corner for hours and not eating nor drinking. He just sits there looking at one direction. When I try to give his some treat, like apple and grape, he doesn't look interested at all. Usually, he would stand up with two foot for treat.

Any solution? He is a very humpy pig and doesn't do well with other pig. Senior is the only pig he likes...

:(:(:(:(:(

CROBELO9

Cavy Slave
You should get him a friend. They might not be best friends from the beginning, since they will both want to establish dominance and such, but eventually they will. Introduce the new one into mutual ground, clean the while cage.. put on fresh bedding, etc so that they both have equal parts in establishing the dominance. As long as there is no bloodshed they should be alright.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Try contacting the rescue you got the pigs from and seeing if they have any single males that might work with your 1 year old. Sounds like he may need a submissive piggy friend. Maybe they will let you do a meet and greet and see if the two piggies work out together.

At 1 year old he is probably still doing the puberty thing a little bit. I have a 1 year old and a 7 month old that are constantly humping and chasing each other but they also will calmly eat salads and hay next to one another.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Awwww, poor piggie. I fell so bad when animals mourn, because we can't talk to them and explain. For right now, try a small stuffed animal, or a stuffed sock, and hopefully you can find him a friend soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.