Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethargy Remaining in one hidey a lot?

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Okay, so I bet this is just me being overprotective, as I lost Oliver a few months ago and I am still pretty sad about it. Greif has me blaming myself which resonates into me being worried about Scout, my next oldest. I bought him a little bin and turned it upside down to use as a hidey, and he loves it – too much? I see him eating and drinking his pellets, hay and veggies and his poops aren't abnormal (he has mighty beautiful poos, if I do say so myself :p)
But other than eating/drinking/occasional exploring, he's in that hidey. They have the entire area under Harper's 1x2 kitchen which I have lined with a cat bed, a snuggle sack (that Harper uses as a recliner) and a little pillow… Still, in the hidey Scout remains.
He also makes these little whuffly noises that are cute, yes, but could they be a sign of a problem with breathing? He makes them as he wanders around the cage, almost like he's talking to himself.
Should I be worried? Or am I being silly?

Please excuse me, this is my first experience at "motherhood" and I evidently got the worry gene from my Mom, haha.

Edit to add: I've had guinea pigs for a long time in my room and the "whuffly noises" are not like the noises that my other three pigs make. Could it just be his "noise" or should the vet be called?

grace505

Cavy Slave
I had a bout of diarrhea with my Diesel and when he had good poops again, it actually brought a tear to my eye. I look at their poops and say the same thing with a Thank God on the end!

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Does it sound like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/Guinea_Pig_Happy.ogg

Do you weigh him weekly?

I also love how you said his poops are mighty beautiful. You're so silly!

Thank you so much for this! I knew I was being silly. I do weigh him weekly and he remains plump and happy at 2 lbs. That sound is definitely Scouty sounds :)
Since I am unaware of his age and his buddy passed at what could have been old age, would there be any way to tell how old he is?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.