Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is 1 pig enough?

Cbranj

Cavy Slave
I've never owned a guinea pig before, but have a friend who's guinea pig is expecting. We have planned for my daughter to get one of the babies, but the more I've read about them I'm wondering if I should get two. Those with experience, Any thoughts/ advice? Thanks!

Frapplove

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! lol I definitely recommend two! Guinea pigs are social creatures and usually love having friends. My guinea pig really blossomed once she had a friend to talk to and run around with :)

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are herd animals. They are much happier when they have a buddy :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Two. The difference in their behavior when they have a friend is amazing.

scarlettraven

Cavy Slave
We got our first pig and then about a month later we got her a friend.
It was amazing the difference in her personality. When they were introduced they cuddled right up to each other. They seem very happy together.

missbounce

Cavy Slave
Another vote for two pigs here - guineas are always so much happier when they have a friend to hang out with.

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
Two for sure. When My Momo got pregnant (accidentally), we separated Hershey (the male) from her and all Hershey did was sit in one spot of his cage all day long. He seemed so depressed! We got him neutered and three weeks later he joined back with Momo and one of her babies, Carmen. I now have a happy trio!

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Two. The same sex, of course. Welcome to the world of piggies! We love pictures too.

akaruby

Cavy Slave
I agree with everyone above! I recently added a second piggie and they are so happy! They talk to each other and follow each other around.

Honour

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I would strongly reccomend that you get two, in their natural habitat they live in groups of something like 5-8 guinea pigs. They're so much happier in pairs and even if you give them lots of attention it still isn't the same as human company. Although if you're getting two or more keep them in same sex groups. If you really want to have a male and a female then you should probably get the male neutered or keep them seperated, which would mean two males and two females and keeping them all apart. That's why most people have same gender piggies because it's just too expensive to get them neutered of seperated. I hope you enjoy your pigs when you get them! &Do have a look at the main page for c&c cages. The sooner you know about them, the better :) Please post photos when you get your piggies! Everyone loves photos here :D

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I only have one and she has somewhat bonded to my three pound chihuahua of course I am working on getting her a guinea pig friend, trying to convince the hubby

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Please be careful when letting dogs and pigs together- it's not the safest of practices, regardless of how good the dog may be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.