Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Built my own cage!

M

Muttnic

Built my own cage!

I couldn't find those grid things, and I needed something more sturdy to keep my 2 cats out of my piggies cage, so I decided to get resourcefull.

When I got my dog a couple years ago, we got a crate as well, but of course dog hated crate, and the crate has stayed in teh garage ever since. I decided to take teh crate, flip it on its side so it has a big base, and then use the coroplast to make a base for it. Now I have a great cat-proof cavie cage thats easy to clean and cost pretty much nothing :)

N

Nibblet8

Excellent Idea

Do you have any pictures of it that we can see?

Here is an idea for an indoor/outdoor cage.
(broken link removed)

I keep it inside when it is not in use, and they love grass time! I also use it indoors when i am cleaning their cage. Quick and easy! In heinsight I should have made it bigger.

Nibblet :)

C

cavytopia

Re: Built my own cage!

Due to some skirmishes between my boys I have temporarily separated them until we build them a larger C&C cage. One of my boys (Squeaky) remained in the hutch and the other (Tiny) is in our Beagle's crate. We also used the crate when we took Squeaky with us on vacation to treat him for a URI. This was very convenient as the crate is foldable and so we were able to pack it easily and open it up once we got to our destination.

The dog crate as a cage seems to work except that ours is not lined with coroplast (as it is only temporarily housing a piggie). On ours the tray which lines the bottom of the cage has only a slight edge and bedding is everywhere!

For now the crate is on the floor (sections of it draped with towels to prevent drafts). Tiny seems to like being able to enter/exit the cage door and be out and about in the family room.

I'd also like to see pictures of your dog crate turned piggie cage!

M

Muttnic

cage pic

Kind of a crappy pic, the dog in the corner and the cage in the middle of my rec room. When I took the pic (right after i finished with it) I hadn't got the water bottle attached (so hes got the dish) or put in extra hay (there is a little divided off piece at the bottom left for hay, but he also has some spread around the rest of the cage now). It's 2.5 x 3 length width, havent measured the height though.

K

C

Cowgirl

hidey house!

You should definitely put in a hidey house! :)

L

Laura0626

?

How big is it?

Attachments

GROOPER - New Cage.jpg Grooper's Cage.jpg GROOPER HASSELHOFFIEN.jpg Grooper & Finnigan.jpg
M

Muttnic

Re: ?

I got a little hide this morning :) its 2.5 x 3 feet

L

Laura0626

(_|_) (_/_) ;-)

Good Job!:)

Laura, Pumpkin, and Nikki

Attachments

image.jpg
C

cavytopia

Re: cage pic

Nice pic! Very creative use of the crate!

I

IMACAVYLOVER

Re: cage pic

How big is the cage in the picture? How many cavies are living in the cage? From the picture, the cage seems rather small, so if you are housing 1 or more cavies in the cage, then I would make new homes for them or extend the cage you have now(in the picture). Don't get me wrong, the cage is very pretty :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.