Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Bald Spot

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
So I discovered this bald spot yesterday and called the vet yesterday and she prescribed Matisse Revolution. But here's the weird thing about this... He doesn't scratch anymore than what I consider normal, I'm in no way concerned about his amount of scratching. He also never scratches in this area when he does scratch. This is the only bald spot on him and it's on a very pudgy area on his chin, it does have a couple tufts of fur coming out of it, could it just have been dragging or something? These things make me wonder, a) is he a sloppy eater? I can't really tell honestly b) could the Baytril and Doxycycline be irritating that area? or c) could his favorite toy have done this? I included a photo of his ball, he throws it around and chews it, but I noticed a couple rough areas on there (you can clearly see them in the photo). I don't see any sores, there are a few teeny pin point size red marks which look like could have been caused by the ball. The photo may be a little hard to see but it was the best I could do. Or does this look like something fungal? I administered the Revolution tonight but I just don't feel like this is mites. I could be wrong though.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Hopefully this can be merged with the other thread; its best to keep it all in one space so that nobody has to try and reference between threads.

Was the Revolution prescribed for this? If so, I'm guessing its because the vet didn't see him because this doesn't look like mites or lice.

It looks like his chin is pretty wet there, it could just be due to that. If his skin continues to look fine and you don't see any changes to the area I wouldn't be concerned. Is hair falling out in clumps around it?

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
Hopefully this can be merged with the other thread; its best to keep it all in one space so that nobody has to try and reference between threads.

Was the Revolution prescribed for this? If so, I'm guessing its because the vet didn't see him because this doesn't look like mites or lice.

It looks like his chin is pretty wet there, it could just be due to that. If his skin continues to look fine and you don't see any changes to the area I wouldn't be concerned. Is hair falling out in clumps around it?

Oh, sorry about that, I thought I should post a new one since the other's getting a little long and old, figured a new one would get more views.

Yes, the Revolution was prescribed for this. I told her he had a bald spot under his chin and there was minor scratching, but my brain is so bogged down with everything I'm dealing with right now I probably didn't make it clear the scratching wasn't where the bald spot is.

Once I finish posting this I am going to see if he will let me dry it more. It seems to always be like this, which leads me to think it is his food. Absolutely no clumps falling out anywhere near it or anywhere else.

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
Here's another one. The fur does look wet but I just checked it, it's actually completely dry, just a little hard, which I'm thinking could be from the meds (the Baytril is quite sticky) or the Vitamin C liquid. This little flab I just noticed while holding him also folds over itself when he's in certain positions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.