Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage cleaning

widallas

Cavy Slave
O.K. stupid newbie warning...but I have to ask. How often do people spot clean their cages? And, how much bedding do you replace daily? I just keep thinking I'm going through an ENORMOUS quantity of shavings. Since the boys are new, do they start to narrow down where the pee/poop? (They seem to be whizzing a trail of destruction through the cage.) Am I cleaning more than I need to? I build two hidey houses out of bent grids....I expected poop, but they seem to pee in there as well. Odd, because I thought they didn't like to pee where they slept. Any insight from anyone?

RyanR

Cavy Slave
I do a bedding replacement about 3 to four days. I do a spot cleaning every 5-7 days. The last week though has been double the time since I've been redoing the cage constantly.

TurboPiggy

Cavy Slave
When I had carefresh or aspen bedding, I spot cleaned every day and changed it completely every 6 or 7 days. Now that we use fleece, I still spot clean every day, but wash fleece every 3 days. I put in a litter pan when we switched to fleece and that really cut down on the pee everywhere.

Daisy Duke
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I use-kiln dried pine. I spot clean everyday, once in the morning & once in the evening. The cage is completely cleaned out once a week.

pennick

Cavy Slave
I have 2 girls, 2x4 3 level cage and use aspen on the 1st level. I do not do any spot cleaning on the 1st level and I change the shavings every 2 weeks.

widallas

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much -- we're going to try fleece and see how it works. The pine shavings were stressing me out. I also took the upper deck off of the cage. Maybe it will work later, but for now, I think we all like the wide open space of the larger cage. I put in a coroplast "wall" over a hanging grid in back for some extra privacy, and to encourage them to use the litter box. I appreciate the help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.