Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Yards of fleece needed for liner?

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Sorry guys I'm sure this is a repeat question, I searched and couldn't find anything here but I need to know:
How many yards of fleece I will need in order to make a fleece liner for either a 2x4 or 2x5 C&C cage.
Even better if you could tell me what the dimensions of a yard of fleece is, like is it 36x36"?
Does anyone know if Joanns will cut the fleece to a custom size in store?
Thanks

For a liner it depends on how you are going to make it. If you are just going to sew a flat pad you will need 1 yard for a 2x4 of for a 2x5 you will need a yard and a half. No they will not cut the fleece to the size you need only the yardage you need. The width of the fleece depends on the manufacturer, check the end of the bolt, it should say there or check on Joann.com before you leave, it says there as well.

I hope that answers your question!

This might help. I always buy fleece that is folded over before it is wrapped around the bolt and then is at least 27" tall. That way you can cut it on the fold and get two liners for the same numbers of yards (as measured by the store) because they only measure in other direction. If my measurements are correct you need at least 1.5 yards length for a 2X4 cage.
Hope this helps.
Yards of fleece needed for liner?

Joann's fleece are usually 58" - 60" wide (check the end of the bolt to confirm). A yard is 36". If you purchase 1 yard, you will get a piece of fabric that's 36" x 58".

If you look at the C&C store, it has the inner dimensions of the various cage sizes. Off the top of my head, I know that it's 27" x 71" for a 2x5. If you want 1 continuous piece of fleece you'd need 2 yards. That would actually give you 2 liners too, because you could just cut it in half since it's 58"-60" wide.

Last edited:
well, let me put my 2 cents in - my cage is 2X4 and i drape the fleece up and over the sides of the liner, so i don't actually see the liner, i see the fleece. it's held in place by binder clips. i like the "change" in decor each time! so, i usually get 2 1/2 yards, and still have to cut a little off the edge. in addition to joanne's, sometimes on amazon.com they have fleece on sale, and sometimes you can get free shipping. if i order 3 yards i get enough to make a matching cozy or seeping bag, or canopy for over the top of a grid or two.:eek:

You've all been very helpful, thank you. :)
I want to get a few different patterns and attempt to sew up some flat one piece liners and some pee pads over the holiday break. I was thinking i needed much more than that, lol. I want to go this next weekend and pick up some fleece from the clearance area. I'm leaning toward a 2x5 for the next cage and starting fresh.

One great place (besides Joann's or Hancock) is YourFleece -- they have really great prices and some cute patterns! They don't have the widest variety, but they have several good ones that I really like. If you sign up for their email newsletter, they send you coupon codes almost every week so you are never paying full price. You should definitely check them out!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.