Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Piggie owner and member <3

Pigglet_

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone! I'm Pigglet, because that's what I refer to my two guinea pigs as >u< I just came to own a pair of guinea pigs about a week ago; my stepdad acquired a pair from his neighbors, who in turn gave them to my little brother, who in turn gave them to me for fear of not being able to take care of them properly. I've had them for about a week, and they are just too sweet! The last couple of days I've been slowly introducing them to new foods (carrots yesterday and more carrots and a very SMALL amount of apple today - they've only ever had pellets from my understanding), let them run around my room for exercise, and I've been working on petting them and socializing (their former owners didn't socialize them properly - fortunately, they are still pretty young).

They may take some work, but I love my piggies to death! >u< I have two, a smaller, scruffier-looking one named Merry who is mostly white and tan with a black splotch on half of his short face, and Pippin, larger, mostly black with one large tan splotch, really sleek fur, and a longer face. I'll probably post pictures of them soon.

Any tips for a new pig owner? Next month I'll be getting a bigger cage for the two of them, more fresh veggies, and some more toys.

Welcome! We'd love to see pictures of your piggies!

Just so you know, carrots and apples are very high in sugar, and should only be given occasionally as treats. They shouldn't be staples of a guinea pig's diet.

Your pigs need a grass hay (timothy, orchard grass, bluegrass, brome) all the time, as much as they want to eat. That will keep their teeth ground down and their digestive tracts moving normally, and will save you hundreds of dollars in vet bills.

For vegetables, start them on red or green leaf lettuce. When they'll eat that, add in green bell pepper. Try them on cilantro, but if they don't take to it right away, make it the third veggie you give them. One they'll eat those three things reliably, you can add other vegetables, herbs and occasional fruits. A list of what they can and can't have is here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html, and sample menus are here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html.

Alfalfa pellets should be given to pigs less than six months old -- Oxbow Cavy Performance is a good brand. Timothy pellets are given when they're older than that. Limit pellets to 1/8 to 1/4 cup per pig per day.

As far as toys are concerned, do be warned that not everything that has picture of a guinea pig on it in the pet store is suitable for guinea pigs. Also, don't be taken in by pet store treats -- they're most crap, and not at all good for your pigs. When you think "treats" for them, think herbs or occasional pieces of fruit.

Good luck, and enjoy your piggies!

Welcome to the forum! This site is filled with wonderful information, take a look around at the links bpatters gave you :)

Welcome. Good luck with your guinea pigs.

Thanks bpatters! I'll probably be working on introducing them to the lettuce tomorrow, and studiously reading over and referencing the links you posted c:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.