Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet nail clipping. with what? how short?

sazor

Cavy Slave
My piggies 3 months old. Should i start trimming her nails? What should i use, how short should i go? and how often should i do it?? thanks!

Check out this link, https://www.guinealynx.info/nails.html. They have tons of info on there about other stuff as well. I just went into the index and scrolled down to nails but I'm going back to read all the other info also! Hope that helped and your first nail clipping goes great!

How often varies with the pig, On average once a month.
I use a good sharp pair of Toenail Clippers you can buy at a drugstore, not the small ones but the good size ones.
As for how short?
It's easy if yours are like my two girls and have Clear nails, You'll be able to see the quick in the center or the nail Clip just below it, If you should happen to hit it make sure you have some corn starch handy to help stop the bleeding.
Or you can obtain some Quick stop for birds at your local pet shop, this is what I use and it works almost instantly.
The type I use also has a topical pain killer in it that is Bird as well as Pig Safe.
If your pigs have Black nails it's a little tricky but easy enough.
from the center of the length of the nail on down to the tip, cut at about if not a little less then that distance from the tip and it should be fine.
It can be a little tricky if you haven't done it before but once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad.

thanks guys :)

I find cat nail clippers easier to use than toenail clippers. They've got handles, like scissors, so it's easier to get (and keep) a grip on them. The one time I didn't use them, I cut two nails too short because the pig wiggled at the wrong time and I didn't have as good control over the clippers.

I was just going to say that! After using regular small pet clippers I find them far too large & hard to handle. Small cat claw clippers are by far the best for their tiny nails & feet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.