Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Another cage size concern.

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Hello! I am so Gladys I round this forum! I have been browsing for a while now and have already learnt so many things. I am new to Guinea pigs. I adopted two males 10 days ago. They are doing quite well, and have grown a lot!! They are two months old. Now my question is, where I live it is not easy to get big ñor many materials to build them. The biggest I could get was 1,18 mts by 60. Do you think they'll be happy there?Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good information here and at Guinea Pig Education, Care, Rescue and Adoption at Cavy Spirit.

I'm not sure I understand how big your cage is. I assume 1,18 mts is meters, but what is 60? Centimeters? inches? If you can post the units without abbreviations, that would help also.

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Yes, I am sorry. It is 1, 18 metres by 60 centimetres, with half a second floor and a ramp, which adds a few more centimetres. Thanks for your reply!

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Generally the bigger the cage the better. Especially with males. A recommended size is 76 x 127cm but a prefered size is 76 x 157cm.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's a very small cage -- smaller even than the recommended size for one pig. They'll probably be ok for a few weeks, while they're still so young, but they may have problems later on. They can chew each other's ears, or fight to the point of one being injured.

Did you buy a cage, or just the materials to make one?

Are you near a large city in Argentina? We may be able to help you find materials for a cage, or a way to make the one you have larger.

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for your replies!! I am so sofríes now! But I got into cavy cages and it is bigger than the one recommended for one pig, or so I understood! Yes, I live in the suburbs of Buenos Aires, a ver y big city! I went to every Pet Shop I could find, searched the internet and paid a lot of money for tris cage! Any help or ideas will be great!

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
I am sorry, I have been replying from the IPad and it does that self correcting thing that drives me crazy!!! I meant I am very worried now! Thunder and Lightning, my piggies, share a special room with two chins and a rabbit. That room is just for them. I prepared a sort of 'habitat' for them, with twigs and tunnels for floor time fun. Here are some pics:
Another cage size concern.Another cage size concern.Another cage size concern.Another cage size concern.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
What I did with my single guinea pig that I foster, is put two cages side by side remove the wire and have a step to help them manage the partition in the middle... I think you should be able to do this as the space you have right now is very small for when they grow bigger. I placed the two cages the owner brought him with on a table, but you could do that too by the looks of it - if of course you can't find the c&c materials. And your current cage need not go to waste if you do find the c&c materials as you could offer it to one of the other animals in a smaller cage! Everyone wins then.

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I will definitely try to work something out. I did put three cages together for the chins, I see how I can manage to do the same with the piggies. I´ll keep you posted!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.