Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems White dots in fur, scratching... What is it?

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Recently, I've noticed that Nikki is covered in tiny white dots about the size of a grain of salt.
She's been digging and scratching at her fur quite a lot, and will even nip at it with her teeth sometimes.
All you have to do is touch her fur the wrong way and she lets out a horrible little screech.

I told my mom, and asked her to make a vet appointment (I'm not old enough to drive) for us to take her. She told me no, that it's just dandruff.
White dots in fur, scratching... What is it?

(There are quite a lot more dots than that, but only a few showed up on my phone's camera.)
I don't think this is dandruff. I gave her a bath, even, and that sort of helped for a few days before the "dots" were back and now they're worse than ever.

Her eyes are bright and clear, her ears are clean, her nose is clear she's a healthy weight and eating / drinking normally. She still does popcorns and zoomies for hours around the house during floortime, but the past day or two she hasn't been wheeking very loud when I bring veggies, if at all. Whether or not that's even related, I don't know.

But. She has been sneezing and rubbing her nose very, very much the past few weeks. No amount of pleading / begging will convince my parents to take her to a vet. They think she just has "allergies" to the dogs or her hay. ...I don't know why they think it's allergies, but it's not, is it? That just seems kind of silly.

So... what do you think? I predict it's either mites or lice. What should I do, especially if I cannot take her to a vet?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I don't think the dots are moving, either. I haven't seen one move at all yet.

The thing that worries me is the part about her screeching. Hopefully somebody will see your post and let you know what to do. I've read about a med you give them(or put on their skin) that you can get without going to the vet. I've never used it but others have. I'll look for the post.

OK, this is what bpatters posted in another thread about mites: Re: Help I think my piggy has mites!
If you've got a bad mite infestation, you should probably go ahead with your vet visit. But it's easier and cheaper to treat the pigs yourself with ivermectin -- as long as they weigh more than 350 grams, they're fine with that treatment.

Read GuineaLynx for more information -- be sure to follow all the links in the articles.​

Two things... for Advantage, is it the kind for dogs and safe for guinea pigs, and can people catch lice from guineas?
Edit: ...! Mom still thinks it's dandruff. Do the nits/lice come off somewhat easily, or are they really hard to pull off? Mom thinks they're kind of easy to get off which means they can't be lice. Not saying I agree with her, but I'd like to make sure which one of us is right.

Last edited:
And also... should I bathe her at all? (Not parasite-specific shampoo, just regular)

I think lice is hard to get out, that's why people have to buy a certin lice shampoo and comb??? My Roger used to have dry skin and when I brushed him he would have white stuff on his fur. I had the vet double check him for mites and lice and he had neither. I put a little dab of mineral oil on a cotton swab, then rub it into his skin about once a week. He's not able to groom his back and butt like Huey can because he has junk in his trunk. He's been fine ever since.

Well... Nikki is a girl, and a quite flexible girl. She can easily reach any part of her body.
How do I know if it's lice or not?

I seen this post earlier today, I was hoping to check back and someone with more expertise would have helped you. I would take your guinea pig in to see a vet asap. The wheeking when you rub her fur the wrong way sounds to me like she could be in pain :( I think I have found through my own guinea pig who passed that these little creatures are GREAT at hiding their illness, they are prey animals and that is a natural instinct for them. If they were to show what ailes them then it would be easy for predators to see and notice this, thus becoming number one targets. My mavis was popcorning acting normal and was being so sweet and playful and the next day I found her in her cage passed away. I of course am not implying your nikki is going to pass away!! Just want to say it could be something serious and I wouldn't wait or hesitate to get her into a vet, or at the very least CALL a vet and describe your situation and plead for any help they can give you.
And even if it is "just" allergies this needs to be tended to because constant contact with what she is allergic to can weaken her immune system, thus making her much more susceptible to illness.
Please seek professional help for her. I do hope someone else will chime in who can be of more help. Just all of her symptoms put together just doesn't sound good.
Good Luck and keep us updated!

If it's truly lice, you should be able to see at least one or two of them. Gently ruffle her hair backwards, and see if see anything scurrying around.

I wouldn't say nits are hard to get out of hair, but they don't just flick off, either. If you have to take the nit between your fingers and slide it to the end of the hair to get it off, it's truly a nit. If you can just flick it with your finger and it comes off, it's not.

Lice, by the way, are pretty species-specfic. GP lice won't infect humans, and vice-versa. That doesn't mean that one might not fall off on you, but it won't set up housekeeping.

Dandruff is a possibility. If that's the case, bathe her with Nizoral or Malaseb shampoo. As far as I know, Malaseb is somewhat better than Nizoral, but harder to find.

But even if it's dandruff, it could be the result of mites. Itching and biting is usually a sign of mites. Could be fungus, but mites are a better bet.

If she were mine, I'd treat her first with ivermectin for the mites (see www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html). It won't hurt her, and may help. And then, after a couple of weeks, I'd retreat with ivermectin and give her a bath with the medicated shampoo.

But. She has been sneezing and rubbing her nose very, very much the past few weeks. No amount of pleading / begging will convince my parents to take her to a vet. They think she just has "allergies" to the dogs or her hay. ...I don't know why they think it's allergies, but it's not, is it? That just seems kind of silly.

Bpatters, What do you think about the sneezing, rubbing her nose and things?
Do you think it all could be related?
If she can't get her to a vet then I think then doing something at home like ivermectin is a good idea, but all of it together just makes me think it could be related and be something she should seek professional help for. Either way, I wish you luck nikkipig with nikki.

How long have you had Nikki? Has she been losing any weight? The sneezing and wiping her nose is worrisome. It would be best for her to see a vet.

I doubt seriously that sneezing is related to the skin problems. She needs to see a vet for a possible URI -- there's nothing you'd have at home that you could use for that. The vet can check her skin while you're at it.

How long have you had Nikki? Has she been losing any weight? The sneezing and wiping her nose is worrisome. It would be best for her to see a vet.
I've had her since July 16th. She's actually gaining weight, because she was in horrible shape when I got her.

Bpatters I've looked through her hair, but nothing was moving anywhere on her body. I'm starting to believe it's mites.

Guys... as much as I really truly do want her to see a vet, especially for the sneezing/possible URI, my parents aren't budging. My neighbors are... not nice people, and the closest of my other family members live far away. Maybe I can get my grandma to send some money to us to take her, if my mom even lets me ask her...! FIngers crossed for that.

I'll have a look at the Ivermection, and have my mom read about it as well and see if I can use that for her & see if that helps her skin.

The ivermectin is not going to help if she has an upper respiratory infection. She would need antibiotics. Are you weighing her? The problem with untreated URIs is that they develop into pneumonia and eventually death.

Weigh her daily. If she starts to lose weight, or begins to sneeze more, or has discharge from her nose, then you need to get her to a vet.

I don't have a scale that would fit a guinea pig's size. Asking if I can buy one (even with my one money) would be a joke. I've already been told Nikki's going to be taken to a pet store if I don't stop asking for things for her. (I'm not even allowed to buy stuff myself, urgh).
My mom won't let me ask my grandma for money for a vet visit. She said I can use my Christmas money for it.. Wait until she's half dead or something- that makes sense.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.