Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Finished new cage!

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
40" wide and like 45" long/deep

Gumball is hanging out in his old cage and can go back and forth, need to do some mods on the ramp yet... that's tomorrow's project and Darwin has been hanging out in the free range area and they both seem really happy.

They are getting along better, Darwin isn't taking as much crap from Gumball and he has eased off the mounting a LOT and the rumbling. Darwin even tried to mount Gumball... he didn't like that much and put his butt up high in the air lol.

Here are some pix. Finished new cage!Finished new cage!Finished new cage!Finished new cage!Finished new cage!
First is them bathing together the other day. Then there is the hanging in the cage as we build new one... that was Darwin's only and I removed all the stuff in it to clean it. Floor of the new one... When it was finished then add piggies ...

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
Finished new cage!Finished new cage!Finished new cage!Zeva, my GSD checking out the piggies. She was 2 today, isn't she beautiful and NO, she does not have access to them alone. They are in my daughters room, behind closed doors. There there is her checking out Darwin and then finally Gumball, peaking out from his cage!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just a suggestion -- you should put something over that door to the pet store cage that's serving as a ramp. That one is dangerous to piggy legs. You can ziptie a piece of coroplast down, or even a piece of cardboard, and then put a sock over it to give it some traction.

Also, if you ever need to make it longer, you can just pull those grids out so that the come to the front of the cage rather than the back and ziptie them in place there.

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
Yeah, the ramp is tomorrows project. They're sleeping right now. But that is first on the agenda

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Love your cage! When I was using the pet store cages as part of my set up, Roger got his little leg stuck and screamed:((he was ok). I ripped those doors off so fast and put in a stepping stone for them.

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
yeah... I might take it off and use something else or cover it w/ chicken wire and then cloth.. right now, I have some thick felt on it. They sleep all night and get up when I wake Sarah up in the morning so they're tucked in nice and tight. Darwin is sleeping in the basket w/ the little cotton cup I knitted and Gumball is in the cage, under his shelf.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Really great job, and I LOVE the bunny cloth place-mats ! :eek: I really like bpatters suggestions too..on the door and perhaps instead of putting the pet store cage inside the enclosure, why not extend their cage by having the cage sides adjoined to it ? That would give them even more running room length...but of course, that is totally up to you dear, their "Mommy:heart:" !

Last edited:

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
I see that you put a lot of work into that cage!
Suggestion:
even if you just wrapped some fleece/towels around the door until tomorrow would be better than living it like that at night. GP tend to be nocturnal creatures and they will get up and could get hurt.

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. I did put some stuff over it before going to bed and as for extending it anymore... I kinda have to leave some room in there for my daughter to I think, if I do add on, it will be up, not out.

LOL those place mats, I had them down in the basement for years. I don't even remember when I got them, must have been before I had my 3rd child, or even preggers w/ him cause I would have had five so... like 6+ years and I think I used them the very first year. They were set to be tossed out last night and I decided they'd be perfect.. they're thick and would work to absorb some messes.

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. I did put some stuff over it before going to bed and as for extending it anymore... I kinda have to leave some room in there for my daughter to I think, if I do add on, it will be up, not out.

LOL those place mats, I had them down in the basement for years. I don't even remember when I got them, must have been before I had my 3rd child, or even preggers w/ him cause I would have had five so... like 6+ years and I think I used them the very first year. They were set to be tossed out last night and I decided they'd be perfect.. they're thick and would work to absorb some messes.
I am glad you put something over it :)
Creativity goes a long way!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.