Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea Pig Teeth and not eating

MaryM

Cavy Slave
My 3 year old Pooh Bear is picking at his food with his front teeth (his salad)
like he really wants to eat, but can't. He gets it to his mouth an drops it.
The exotic vet put him on sulfa drug first and critical care food. I was doing that for four days...then she decided to check his mouth more carefully and only found that his molars may be too sharp for him and filed them down. He still isn't eating on his own. He tries. I am exhausted from syringe feeding him. What else could it be? He seems a little better than 4 days ago, and is right now walking
around my living room, but he is not eating and I'm afraid he will die. Any
ideas? Does he maybe not realize his teeth are ok now? She checked for
abscesses etc. also.
I give him fresh squeezed OJ and cranberry juice and pureed red pepper to
keep up the vitamin c.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Have you seen this? https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

U
sually dropping food is a sign that the front teeth aren't meeting properly -- did the vet file them at all? Possibly she got them too short. Also, misaligned incisors are often the first sign of a problem with the molars, so maybe now that she's filed the molars down he'll eventually be able to eat.

If you julienne his vegetables and stick them in his mouth, can he eat them? And can he eat hay if you put it in his mouth.

I'd worry much more about getting fiber down him than vitamin C. He won't die from a few days lack of vitamin C, but he well may if his gut goes into stasis because he's not getting enough roughage.

You may want to post this on the Emergency and Medical forum at Guinea Lynx -- there are many posters over there with lots of experience in feeding pigs after they've had dental work.

MaryM

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the thoughts. I did read the forum but didn't post....I think I will. I haven't actually stuck the food in his mouth, I do hold up to his mouth and he scrapes it with his front teeth. The vet did look at this front teeth and said they were fine. I do give him the critical care
food four times a day...I am calling vet today to see what the next step is.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.