Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes crusty eyes and strange behaviour from her roommate

misty_toupe

Cavy Slave
Hi guys new here. I recently bought two little ladies. I have owned guinea pigs in the past and was quite relaxed about owning more.

Tonight my partner and I were handling them and I noticed one of them, Toupe, had a crusty eye. Not a problem I had encountered before. I've read various posts here on similar conditions and will book a vet appointment in the morning, as it's 11.36pm here now. I am worried she may have an URI, but did not notice anything till now. Have been using sawdust provided with my starter kit, although I never did with my previous guineas as I was told it could irritate their eyes.

I also noticed what might have been a cough, it was like a clicking noise. The two have been living peacefully until now. However Misty, the other girlie has been treating Toupe strangely. It's almost as if she's trying to nibble at Toupe's mouth. She doesn't seem to be going for the eye however.

Has anyone else noticed this kind of behaviour from roommates of sick pinny gigs? I don't want Misty exacerbating the problem or catching something similar herself.

Hopefully I will get an appointment tomorrow as I've heard Guineas don't bear up very well under these kinds of illnesses.

Any light to be shone would be much appreciated as I'm very concerned.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hey,

I just read your post and I definitely relate because I'm currently giving eye drops to one of my piggies. Something that really helped me and my vet was the fact that I took a picture of my sick Squeekie's eye and showed it to her. So, if it is possible, for people in this forum as well, could you take a picture of the eye and post it? Also, bedding is very important. I confess, that I tried to get away with the cheaper wood bedding but it did irritate my piggies, irritated their eyes and made them sneeze. So, now I use the good stuff!!

PS - Are you sure one is trying to nibble the other ones mouth, or are they "kissing"? Because it is normal, very cute, and a positive sign if they are "nose to nose"!! As long as they are both eating and drinking, I'm sure they will be ok. Let us know how they are doing!! I hope they feel better fast!!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I think it's a good idea to make a vet visit. If it is an URI she will need antibiotics soon.

I don't think there's anything to worry about with the companion licking her. If it were anything contagious she would have already contracted it.

misty_toupe

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much for your speedy replies! Toupe seems to be okay behaviour wise she's a greedy guinea and loves veggies. She's been eating fine today and seems her normal jumpy, speedy self. I held her close to my ear and did hear a little wheeze in her breathing. I'm pretty sure there's something wrong. But as I sai she's interested in her food and is lively.

I have an appointment tomorrow and kept calling to see if they had any cancellations. My brother is going to take them for me and get some advice.

I was using sawdust given to with the indoor starter kit. I've always previously kept guineas outside and in the shed during winter. (I live in Scotland). So I've never used sawdust in their bedding before. I was however using shredded paper for their nest compartment.

I've just changed their cage and lined it with newspaper and restocked it with meadow hay instead of any other kinds of bedding as I would were they outside. Hopefully if the bedding was part of the issue that might stop things from getting worse anyway.

Also I asked if there was anything I could do like bathing the eye tonight, and the veterinary nurse told me to use cold tea. I was using a mobile and so the line wasn't great, but I'm pretty sure she said cold tea.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Thank you again for your advice and reassurance about the kissing or licking. My only concern about it was that they were both rearing up slightly, at least sticking their heads in the air. Is that normal? I know sometimes with other animals, when there is infection or illness, the other animals can react to it. Hmmm...Guinea Pig etiquette, so confusing!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I have heard of using tea in humans, but I don't think it's going to help an upper respiratory infection.

Sawdust is not a very good bedding, mostly because of the dust. However, newspaper and hay are not ideal bedding materials, either. Do you have access to shavings, or one of the other products specifically made for small animals, like Carefresh?

misty_toupe

Cavy Slave
Okay update! Vet looked at both piggies today and said that there was no problem with either's breathing and besides the sore looking eye, she seemed very healthy. I think she just wanted to be safe rather than sorry and gave me eye drops and a short course of antibiotics. Will update with Toupe's progress.

Thanks for help and suggestions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.