Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick PLEASE HELP. Guinea pig is lethargic and won't eat or drink!

babycakes

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have two guinea pigs, Oreo and Twix. This morning, both of them were fine, popcorning and wheeking as usual. I came home today around 10 PM and Oreo was no where to be seen. I found her sleeping in her pigloo so I thought nothing of it at first. However, when I brought their veggies, I found it strange that Oreo wasn't running out immediately to greet me. Instead, she remained in her pigloo. Even while I was cleaning the cage, she didn't move at all. I finally moved the pigloo aside and found Oreo lying there, pretty much motionless. I totally knew something was wrong when she let me pet her whole body (she only likes getting petted on her head). She was breathing quickly and seemed like she wanted to stand up but couldn't. I tried giving her some apple and cilantro (her favorite foods) but she ignored them.

I immediately took her to a local emergency pet clinic. They said she was "stable" and referred me to an ER specifically for exotic pets. We drove there and the vet told us the exact same thing. She told me that she was stable and her vitals were perfect...no abnormal breathing, discharge, etc. The doctor gave me some critical care to feed Oreo but she told me there was really nothing else that she could do...all her physical signs were normal. I, however, don't think lying motionless is normal. Nor is refusing food or water.

Is there anything else I can do? Could it just be something like a stomach ache? Should I keep her seperated from my other pig? I'm so lost and confused right now...I feel so helpless. PLEASE, if you have any advice/experience with similar symptoms, please help me out :(

Background info: Oreo is about 6 months old. She had two cases of upper respiratory infections which I effectively treated with Bactrim and Baytril, but she has been in perfect health for the past 3.5 months. She is very playful and friendly, but sometimes can act really dominant. Oreo loves eating and is quite a pig...which explains her slight overweight-ness. I do weigh the pigs weekly...her weight has not decreased. They live in a 2 x 3 C&C cage with a 1 x 2 loft. All fleece bedding which I change weekly. I feed them Kleenmama Timothy Pellets and supply them with unlimited Kleemama timothy hay.

The only thing I changed recently was their hay. I usually gave them 3rd cut timothy hay but KM ran out so I replaced it with 2nd cut hay a few days ago. I definitely noticed it was much pokier and there was a lot more flowers/stems. Could this be the culprit? Oh, and my other pig, Twix, is fine...eating hay happily at the moment...so I don't think it's an infection?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. I would appreciate any advice.

babycakes

Cavy Slave
Okay, so Oreo started moving around under her blankie so I thought she maybe got better...to my horror, it seemed like she was having a seizure? She was squeaking in pain and convulsing, almost. She's still breathing but barely...I don't know what to do...is she ok? What's going on I'm freaking out : (

babycakes

Cavy Slave
Nevermind...she passed tonight. RIP Oreo...8/3/11

mickey1007

Cavy Slave
babycakes ~~ I am so very, very sorry for your loss. I wish I had some experience to help you understand why this happened but I don't.

Please take Twix into the vet as soon as you can to get her checked out, just in case whatever Oreo had was contagious.

My thoughts are with you and Twix as you make it through this very difficult time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.