Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids cage grids to big help

monkeytreey

Cavy Slave
Hello, I am new to owning a guinea pig and all the experience comes from my wonder girlfriend. We are both new to C&C cages and have hit a problem. A few months ago we adopted an 8 month old male pig and have just recently made him a 2x3 cage that I hooked up to his old cage. My problem comes in that we got the grids for the cage at target and some of the grids are quite big. This hasn’t been a problem because our full grown pig is to big to fit through and they are behind 6 inches of coroplast, but we have recently purchased an 8 week old male and he could crawl right through them. Right now I am on a limited budget and am looking for a solution if I can I will buy more grids but I won’t be able to do that for a while. I was thinking of covering the grids with a screen mesh for when I eventually put the two pigs together until I can buy some more grids does anyone have any ideas about this. The new pig still needs to finish quarantine so we have a week before starting introductions. Thanks
Monkeytreey

partygirlha

Cavy Slave
sheets of card board (either buy some cheap or cut them from boxes) can be used as walls layed agaist the grides. You can also run fleece up and over the grids and clip it on with cloths pins or binder clips if you're worried about airflow over the summer you could buy a roll of window screen material and clip that onto the grides. Really almost anything will work if you use the grids as a base.

if you still have grids left over from building the cage, you can add another set that's off set and zip tie them in place.

do a search on baby proffing and you should find more ideas.

congrats on the baby :)

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
If you get the grids from Bed Bath & Beyond and have their coupon it would be less than $20 for a box.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
If there is not a Bed Bath & Beyond near you, online at amazon you can get some grids for $19.00. They are called Whitmor storage cubes...here is the link below:
Amazon.com: Whitmor 6071-1723 4 Storage Cubes, White: Home & Garden

I just wanted to also add that partygirl had some really great, practical ideas too ! Especially if it's only for a temporary solution.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.