Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty enlarged blue eye, vet says scratch?

SnickersD

Cavy Slave
I just came back from my vet (first time with her, she seems pretty cavvy savvy. But I was so worried about my baby I didn't ask many questions). I got an appt only an hour from when I called. So today I was planning on taking the boys outside for some munchy time, but I instantly noticed that Waffles had a huge (double the size of the other eye) blue eye! His eyes are normally dark brown, the blue film covered his whole entire eye. I instantly got an appt, and the vet said he has an eye ulcer and that the eye has a scratch. She gave him a examination, and gave him a eye drop that turned his eye green briefly and then told us what was wrong. She gave us two different eye drops to administer to him (one once a day, the other every 4-6hrs). My question is, does this sound like the correct diagnosis? If so how long should it take to heal? (Like I said I was so worried about him, I totally blanked out question wise. But I did ask what I should look for if his eye gets worse!)

It is hard to determine if your Vet gave you the proper diagnosis online, especially without a good close up of your piggies eye. Cataracts looks something like this below ( you mentioned the sudden blueish eye color) Does his eye look similar to this picture?

(broken link removed)

or this picture ?
https://www.guinealynx.info/photos/Trick-2.jpg

Here is an excerpt from guinea lynx on ulcers too, here below:

Protruding eyes can indicate an abscess, elongated roots, or other problem. An x-ray can often help diagnose these conditions. Conjunctivitis, foreign items stuck behind the eye, dry eye, ulcers, and tumors can be the cause of a swollen eye. Often eye infections or damage will result in a general cloudiness of the entire eye. Watery eyes may be the result of a plugged tear duct.

What the vet will do:
A vet will check the eye for signs of damage or disease. He/she may flush the eye and stain it to look for abrasions or ulceration and then prescribe eye drops like Chloralean or Gentocin. If the eye seems dry, the vet may perform a tear test or send a sample of the fluid to the lab for analysis. Medications like Chloralean can clear up ulcers very quickly. Application of an ophthalmic triple antibiotic eye ointment 2 or 3 times daily may help reduce redness.

Veterinary ophthalmologists can diagnose and treat difficult eye problems.

DON'T DELAY SEEKING VETERINARY TREATMENT.
EYE PROBLEMS CAN RESULT IN PERMANENT DAMAGE OR EYE LOSS IF NOT TREATED.

Hope he heals up well and that the Vet diagnosed him properly ! Good luck and please keep us posted on how your sweet baby boy is doing, o.k. ?

Last edited:
Those eyes are close, except the blue film covered the entire eyeball (you could not even see the brown ring around his pupil, or the actual pupil). Thanks, for the guinealynx info, I tried to look up some of it within that hour before the appt. I originally thought it was catarct as well but she didn't mention that. The swelling has gone away so I'm relieved, its still blue but I can see just the smallest smidge of brown ring so hopefully its already healing!

Also the vet told us to remove all sharp things (except hay. We took out their cardboard hidey house, and a twig ball that was all we could see that was remotely sharp). She also asked if we would mind removing the other pig (snickers) from the cage, we haven't so far, should we? I didn't know if it was a bad or good suggestion because they are so attached to each other, and we didn't know how long they'd have to be separated.

Yes, the second link is exactly what his eye looked/looks like. (The eye is no longer bugging out and some of his brown color is returning, but not much) The first med is-Atropine Sulfate Ophthalmic Solution USP, 1%-that is the once daily eye drop. The second med goes in every 4-6hrs-Tobramycin Ophthalmic Solution USP, 0.3%- both seem to be helping. I will try to look for some softer hay (I'm currently picking out the obvious hard pokey hay), do you think I should separate the boys? Waffles is the dominant one so I don't think Snickers would be much of a threat...but the vet did reccomend it. I'm not sure what to do in that regard, they have been good to each other all day today (I've been staying close to the cage all day).

Wow, that is great information GotPigs ! Thank-you, I appreciate learning new things !

SnickersD, I am not sure about separating them ! Since it would cause a lot of stress on them, I am just not so sure. However, if your vet is cavvy savvy then, you should probably do what she says. Use your own judgment too. That is a hard judgment call to make, I know !

How long did your Vet say to keep them separated ? For if his eye doesn't heal properly and he has another "accidental kick in the face" it could mean blindness in that eye for your piggie.

Separating them will cause more trouble than it's worth, in my opinion. I would keep them together and keep an eye on them. If you notice scuffling or bullying, put a divider in their cage.

I agree with Silverbeat, I wouldn't separate them unless needed.

I just want to mention to keep an eye on your piggy's appetite while he's on the medications. Atropine causes GI stasis when given systemically and it's possible that some could be absorbed systemically though you're giving it topically in the eye

"An important feature of the rodent eye is the small volume
of tear film on the ocular surface. Application of even one
standard-size drop will flood the ocular surface, thereby leading
to nasolacrimal overflow. Drugs delivered topically may also
be absorbed systemically in significant amounts relative to the size of the animal. This has important implications in both the
treatment of ocular disease and potential side effects, as the
drug may be acting through circulating blood levels as well as
by direct ocular penetration."

(broken link removed)

You might even consider putting him on a probiotic just to be safe. How is he doing today?

Thank you for that GotPigs! I noticed he is eating hay in small spurts instead of eating a lot at one time. However he is eating his veggies, even trying to steal his bubba's half! He's sleeping a little more as well but otherwise he is acting normal! I will continue to keep an eye on his eating habits though, thank you, I didn't realize that was a side effect. He is doing very well today, his eye is looking better and better! Thank you everyone for your inputs on the separation issue. I think I will go a head and leave them together since his eye is healing nicely and Snickers is such a big push over I'm not too worried. I'm not sure exactly how cavvy savvy this vet is (only been to her once and that was for Waffles's eye). However the drops seem to be working so I think she made the correct diagnosis!

That is wonderful news SnickersD ! I am so glad that his eye is healing up well, yippee !

Honestly, my instincts were to not separate, too. I guess I was afraid to advise you to go against a cavvy savvy Vets advice. There is a BIG difference between a regular Vet and a cavy savvy one, who specializes in exotics. Also, I don't know your boys like you do. I didn't realize that you didn't know this one too well either.

Warm continued healing prayers and hugs for your boy !

Last edited:
I'm glad he's doing better. It was probably a hay poke. See if you can find soft timmy or orchard grass.

I almost put my old guinea to sleep because her eye was bulging with a huge red thing on the end. I thought she would need surgery and I knew she was too old. I took her to my regular to have it done and it looked better. He gave her drops and it's fine. I'm sure your pig is young so it's eye will recover perfectly.

Sorry I ran on.lol

Thanks Kathlaaron, its completely alright! I normally would go with whatever a vet says as well so I totally understand why you suggested I do what she said! :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to start looking for local farmers hay I think since its no longer winter. If not I may try to convince my parents to order Kleenmama's, it'll be a hard sell since shipping is so much but I may be able to get it once our $ situation becomes more under controlled.

Sorry for such the long wait! I've been so busy with finals that I haven't had time to post an update! Waffles is doing well, however his eye is still dark dark blue (you can only tell its blue in the light) and we are still doing the same routine as I stated in a earlier post. He's been gaining weight lately so I don't think he's having any problems with the meds. But, I had to cancel his appt do to conflicting activities and haven't gone back since the intial exam. Does anyone know if it is safe to keep him on this medication this long? Should his eye already be totally back to normal? I'm a little concerned that the blue is still there (though he had a risen white dot on his eye that we noticed the day we took him to the vet, that has completely disapeared. So he is improving.) Thank you everyone for your advice!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.