Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Quiet Piggy Now Squeaking. Problem?

lotus14

Cavy Slave
We adopted our first piggies about 1.5 months ago. They are approximately 3 year old males. Harley is the strong silent type and has rarely squeaks. Last week, he started squeaking like something was bothering him and hiding in the pigloo all day. We took him to an emergency vet who knew little about guinea pigs and they diagnosed him with early stages of pneumonia and gave him Baytril. The squeaking seemed to stop and yesterday we took him to our regular cavy friendly vet for a check up, and both piggies were completely healthy.

Last night, Harley was again in the pigloo and squeaking. Starts quiet then gets a bit louder and ends with a sort of a honking sound. He would do it, then be quiet for a few minutes and do it again. It seemed to end after a couple of hours but he's done it a handful of times today. What is he doing? Do we need to be concerned since his cavy-friendly vet said he's perfectly healthy just yesterday?

rugers285

Cavy Slave
I am new to owning guinea pigs, but from my mere four month experience i have seen this in my own. She would not start wheaking till about 2 months after i got her and now she never stops wheaking is usually a positive thing. Shrieks and chattering is usually negative.

lotus14

Cavy Slave
It's not happy squeaking. It's hiding and squeaking loudly like there's some sort of problem. I'm well aware that they squeak when they're happy as I have another piggy who does this regularly. Could it be something bothering his throat or some hurt somewhere? I haven't heard him do it yet today but he was doing it a lot last night. Quiet then getting louder to a final honk type of sound. Quiet a few more minutes and then repeat.

rugers285

Cavy Slave
hmm i do not know. Maybe asking ppl on the Wheekers forum will help?

Gemma375

Cavy Slave
One of my piggies used to do exactly what you're describing, yet she's always been the most nervous one out of the three. I've never known exactly what's wrong, as I could be in the same room as her and nothing would happen, yet she'd start squeaking. I found that distracting her with a handful of food or giving her a cuddle calmed her down. The only time I took her to the vet for it was when the breathing became almost like a hooting/pigeon kind of noise and she had an injection in her neck as the vet believed she may have something stuck or was having throat spasms, and I've never heard it since.
I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, I've not heard my little one squeaking for months now, so maybe he's just a little lonely or anxious :)

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Please post this on GuineaLynx. There are a lot of members there who are very experienced in medical issues, and someone may be able to help.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.