Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Greetings from Canada!

CherryGumBall

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I've been lurking and researching around for a couple weeks now on Cavy Cages, and finally decided to join! I actually haven't had Guinea Pigs in about 6-7 years. I admit that then, I was young and had a pet store cage for my two piggies (Chubby and Alvira) and I know now that whilst they lived long lives, they weren't as happy as they could've been with a larger cage.

So now, about 7 years later, I am contemplating getting another couple of piggies, eventually a third or perhaps even a fourth. This time with a bigger cage, more hay, more floor time and more everything. I've wanted to adopt some piggies from my local HS for quite a long time, but up until now I really didn't have the financial resources to make sure they had everything they needed and more, so I decided to wait. And now that the opportunity to house and love some Guinea Pigs is within reach. I decided to join this forum, because I've been reading and researching for a while now and you all seem very informed and very nice. I hope that I can get to know you all in your own respects. :)

I do have a couple questions though, and hope that you guys can enlighten me. Firstly, I'm planning on placing the cage in my room (I know that typically rooms are a no-no, but my room is actually the busiest in the house (I suspect that is due to the Television and the Wii), and also the one place none of the cats that live with us can get to.) and I was just curious, does anyone know if there would be any possible health concerns with the electric heater and window being within a couple feet of the cage? Canadian summers are usually really warm, so it won't be on, but in the winter it does get cold and will be on to degrees that are comfy for the piggies. Also, my other question to along with the cage placement is will the lights on the television bother the piggies? My final question (At least for now) is what is one of the better/best type of pellets to buy for the piggies? I know the certain foods/additives that they shouldn't eat, but I'm just aiming for the most commonly accepted food. In the areas near my house they have Oxbow, Mazuri and Living World etc. Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help!

GotPigs?

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! My piggies are in my bedroom because my current roommate doesn't want them in the living room. I don't believe the TV has ever bothered them, and the only problem I have is with it getting too warm in the summer. I use fans to blow the cold air from the living room (where the AC is), down the hallway and into my room and this helps a ton. I've never had a problem in the winter with the heater, just try not to keep it super warm. My roommate is moving out next month and I can't wait to move them into the living room :)

About the cats- make sure you cat-proof your cage! I used extra grids and wire shelving to make a top for my piggies cage.

I use Oxbow because I'm a vet student and we get discounts. My piggies seem to like it, the hay is usually good quality but I got a bit of a brown batch last time.

Good luck with your search!

CherryGumBall

Cavy Slave
Hello! Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it! I have a similar situation here, and as soon as they move out, I'm free to move the piggies downstairs. I'm under the assumption that I shouldn't keep a fan in the same room/near the piggies, right? It might create some dry skin among other things, correct?

I will definitely cat-proof the cage, I don't want the cats getting at them! They're gentle cats, but you can never be too careful. I was thinking of getting Oxbow as well, so thanks for confirming them for me. Thank you once again! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.