Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Walk your dog 3 times a day -- or be fined

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Glad to see more countries are taking animal cruelty/neglect more seriously. We need some stricter laws like that in the U.S. too.

(broken link removed)

Other countries have had similar laws against "animal mutilation" for ages. Hopefully these ideas will start to spread here soon.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I am glad to see that there are strict fines for animal abuse. However, I don't agree with fining someone for not walking their dogs three times a day though.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
I agree that the 3xs a day thing seems a bit much...but I like the rest of the laws.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I like the fact that it is stopping dogs from becoming fluffy toys. Alot of famous people like Paris have "handbag" dogs... I think it really sets a bad example.

I am so glad that they are stopping people from docking tails and dyeing their fur. (Why they would want to I do not know!)

Even though I agree that fining them is a bit too much for not walking their dogs 3x a day.. I see an awful lot of fat dogs!! I believe theres no excuse for a fat dog (Unless medical!)

What confuses me is that America's ASPCA have the same about of power as the police. Where as here in the UK the RSPCA have hardly any rights what so ever and yet we have alot of laws agaisn't animal absuse.

Marlania

Cavy Slave
I agree with the other laws, but I can't agree with walking three times a day. If I had to do that, I'd never be home!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I don't agree with the 3x a day walks. But the docking and dyeing is fine.

I know I wouldn't have time to walk my dog 3x a day.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
My dog only gets walked once a day.. but I honestly think she prefers cuddling up to us better than walkies. My uncle has a dog who is 13 and he has been walked 4 times a day ever since he got him as a pup. Some people can't walk the dogs that much, they don't need it that often if you have a garden and you pay attention to them at home. There are elderly people, e.g. Widows, who need dogs for company, and I'm sure that most elderly people can't walk dogs as often as 3 times a day! So that's unfair really.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
This is ridiculous to me. I never walk my dogs, however, they are outside playing for like 6 to 8 hours a day. I go out and play fetch with them and everything, but they have never been on a road. They are all in perfect health. I probably would walk them if we live in a more urban area, however, we have 100 acres of land and I see no point in teaching them where the road is, because then they would be more likely to get hit by a car (at least in my situation, because our dogs are not tied and only stay in on our property). I am glad to see that more laws are being put in place, but I would fit this one like crazy if it was ever proposed aorund here.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Maybe it means the dog must go outside 3X a day to go to the bathroom. Maybe in that part of the country, many people do not have yards so the dog must be walked instead.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Still, I'm sure some people in that area have decent yards. Even in Toronto, some people have huge yards. You can't really generalize like that. I don't have a dog (and if my husband has it his way we never will) but I can't imagine it would need to be out on a leash for a walk 3X a day. Wouldn't a game of fetch or a good swim in the summer provide better exersice and stimulation?

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Maybe it means the dog must go outside 3X a day to go to the bathroom

Hmmm...could be this as well. Of course, what about those folks who paper train or litter train. My dogs go outside (at 100 lbs. a piece, there's no way I'm encouraging them to go inside), so they're definitely in the yard several times a day. Whether its referring to actually walking a dog or bringing it to the bathroom three times a day, how is anyone going to regulate how often all dog owners do this?

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Hehe, so I'm the only loser here with enough time to walk my dogs 3x's a day? Get up at 5:00 in the morning, walk my dogs, get home from school at 3:25, walk my dogs, eat dinner at 6:00, walk my dogs, do homework at 8:00, walk my dogs. Also, the ear cropping and tail docking were only used because in hunting it often times helped hunters and even prevented injuries.Now, there's almost no reason to do so. Yay for Turin!

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
Also, what type of physical activity the dogs get is completely up to the owners. If they want to play with their dog in the house instead of outside, why is that wrong? One of my dogs, whose a small terrier, loves to play catch down our hallway. She can do this for hours at a time and gets plenty of exercise that way. Of course she still goes outside with our other two dogs, but only for about a quarter of the time that they do. I really can't see that this type of law would be able to be inforced without great expense, which governments are not usually willing to spend on animal well being.
Two of my dogs are also very big and if they don't want to go outside, their is no way that I can force them to and I really wouldn't want to make them go if they don't want to anyway.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Also, what type of physical activity the dogs get is completely up to the owners.
Awesome point! My aunt has a jack russell and he loves agility and frisbee. He still gets walks alot, but those games are his favorite.

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
I have never understood why people dock thier dogs tails and clip their ears. I know with German Shepards and Dobermans the ear clipping makes their ears stand up, but I personally think they are cuter with floppy ears. All soft and velvety!

I understand the hunting thing, but now alot of people do it for "showing" purposes. UGH! Surgically altering an animal for "looks" is insane!

Hurray to all the floppy eared, long tailed, regular coloured, non-clothes wearing dogs in the world!!!

laura220

Cavy Slave
Nah, Doc your not the only loser. I walk my dogs 3 times a day, sometimes four. I think dogs should be walked at least twice a day unless they're out with they're owners for at least 2 hours playing. I agree the docking and dyeing(WHY?) can be illeagal.

Except for dogs working in the field or on hunts. Then docking is necessary unless you want your dog in excruciating pain same with dew claw removing. Croppping ears is just dumb, it's not even pretty especially in Great Danes.
Suzy, do your dogs by any chance dig, bark or chew excessively? Anybody else's dog/s?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Baby Bears said:
I know with German Shepards and Dobermans the ear clipping makes their ears stand up,

Just a point of fact. German Shepards' ears aren't cut...They are born floppy (like a lot of naturally erect eared dogs) and as they grow the ear cartilage stiffens and they stand erect.

Dobermans, Great Danes, Boxers, pit bulls, and schnauzers are a few of the dogs that get their ears cut off

boxers, most terriers, poodles, weimeriners, most spanials dobermans and rottweilers are some of the dogs that get their tails cut off.

Some of those breeds get both ears and tails cut off.

Most show dogs also get their dew claws removed and get their nails "show cut"

Show cut nails are a relatively unknown cruelty. To show cut a nail the toenail is cut VERY short...right through the quick. Anyone who has cut their pet's nail too short knows from the reaction that this is very painful. The nails on show cut dogs often become infected because they are walking around with open wounds on all 4 feet.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I have a Jack Russell without a docked tail. We refused to do it when he was a puppy.

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
VoodDoo> They cut the nails through the quick??? *cringing* I did that once by accident to my Dachshund (sp?) and almost cried. It hurt him so bad!

I had no idea that German SHepards were born with floppy ears and they grow cartiledge, I always thought they were clipped like other dogs! Learn something every day!

Slap >> I had a Jack Russell when I was younger. I LOVED that dog - so much fun! She had her tail long too.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Yeah, Jack Russells are great. They just have a bad rap for being hyper and agressive, which most are not.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.