Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives would this work as a cage?

ShyKiss

Cavy Slave
ok i am a newbie when it comes to guinea pigs, but am doing all my research before i got buy anything!

i have a question all the cages at my local pet store are to small to have more then one in and so far what i have read is that it is best to have at least 2 cause they are better with others of their own kind, and much happier, i looked ok the site for that linked to this site to buy c&c kits but i can't order online cause i dont have a way of paying for it.

but i did happen to notice my pet store has a play pen for little critters it's 9sq feet and is cheaper then even their biggest cage 34 bucks vs 120. they also sell a pen cover for it that is water proof that you can put either over top or under neath the pen. so my question is would this work as a cage for my still to come new friend? or even if i bought say a small plastic kids swimming pool for the bottom? i want to make sure they will have enough room without breaking my budget or having to drive out of town. so would this work?

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Not sure if it would work as a cage, but I would look closely that the size of the grids to make sure they are not so big that the piggy's head could get stuck and get injured.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
10.5 sq. ft. for two or 30" x 50" is preferred for two. Is it a midwest cage? Those are OK if you add the addition.

All these editings and I still forgot to say Welcome!! Sorry!!

Last edited:

ShyKiss

Cavy Slave
its a clean living playpen for small animals mostly used for taking them out side, but i will keep my eyes out and see if any of the other pet store near here have something a bit bigger, some dont have websites as they are smaller i've been spending most of my day trying to figure out the inch length and width into sq feet and nothing seems big enough even the biggest cages around here are only about 8sq feet.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Why not make a cubes and coroplast cage. It's not hard. If I can make one anybody can. lol

You can get the cubes from Bed Bath and Beyond and the coroplast from a local sign shop. It's a lot cheaper than buying a cage. For the cost of buying you can make a bigger and nicer one.

ShyKiss

Cavy Slave
i think i'm going to look into doing that, gonna look around at some places and see if i can get a hold of all the things and if i can i'll go with doing that.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Just call around to different sign stores and see if they'll sell you a sheet of 4' x 8' coroplast and find the cheapest price. When I first started making cages I was told anywhere from 100$ to 20$. My last sheet was 22$ but some places sell them cheaper.

And ask what colors they have. White is usually cheaper.

ShyKiss

Cavy Slave
would you know what the cubes would be really called at a store so maybe i can call and see if places here have them instead of having to go to the place and look?

ShyKiss

Cavy Slave
never mind i found them at canadian tired here, so now it would just be to find some coroplast! and then go read the part better on here on how to do it :)

haha that was easy home depot here carries it so now just to wait for money on friday and go buy what i need yay :) making my cage will cost me only about $40 :)

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Make sure it's the right size because I've only see it in too small sizes at Home Depot. But your store could be different.

Wait until you see your pig run when you get the new cage made. Everyone is so surprised at how happy they are.

ShyKiss

Cavy Slave
comes in sizes from 1.5x2 feet to 4x8 feet but i'll make sure its my first stop to make sure i can get the right size.

ShyKiss

Cavy Slave
o but i do have one question what should the spacing for the i guess holes on cubes be? i dont want any little piggies getting their heads stuck

kaite13

Cavy Slave
The grids should be 9 squares across. Good luck and Welcome!

ShyKiss

Cavy Slave
thanks :) this will be so much better then having to get a cage thats to small for i'd say even one :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.