Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Check out my new hay rack!

Kel0123

Cavy Slave
I was cleaning out my pantry and got tons of piggy boxes.I've been wanting a hay rack to keep from wasting so much hay. I cut a hole in a central box and folded it down to make a shelf. Then I clipped the box to the cage. Uno and Dos seem to like it so far!

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh, this is an awesome & inexpensive idea! I have been trying to come up with some sort of hay rack for my cage since they waste a lot of hay as well! Thanks for this idea! I think I will make one! :D

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
Cool! Way to RRR (Reduce, reuse, recycle)!

OverunByPiggies

Cavy Slave
You are my new best friend!! I have been looking for a hay rack also!!! I'm totally stealing your idea!! Thanks!!!

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Yes Momo on GL and other GL users have a variety of cereal and other food boxes as hay racks. Just NEVER use boxes that are refridgerated or frozen as they have wax and chemicles on them so they don't melt from the moisture. I'm assuming since these boxes cannot be recycled that they probably would not be healthy to let the piggies munch on???

Very cute I was thinking about doing this today as well. I find if you cut a small slit in the box you can take a black metal paper binder (the 1 inch or 3/4 inch not sure) sized clips REALLY help keep boxes and stuff on the grids better...

Kel0123

Cavy Slave
Clearly I meant CEREAL box,not central box! My phone clearly didn't understand what I was saying! Thanks for all the compliments! I was so excited about it and proud while my husband just rolled his eyes. I knew my piggy people would support my hay rack.;)

Yes Momo on GL and other GL users have a variety of cereal and other food boxes as hay racks. Just NEVER use boxes that are refridgerated or frozen as they have wax and chemicles on them so they don't melt from the moisture. I'm assuming since these boxes cannot be recycled that they probably would not be healthy to let the piggies munch on???

Very cute I was thinking about doing this today as well. I find if you cut a small slit in the box you can take a black metal paper binder (the 1 inch or 3/4 inch not sure) sized clips REALLY help keep boxes and stuff on the grids better...

I have yet to check out the GL forums. Here I was thinking I was being cleaver! Just a side note, it's not just refrigerated boxes. Any box that has liquid inside has the wax to prevent the box from becoming wet. (Think boxes of soup stock/broth and what not)

The red clothes line clips in my picture is actually holding the coroplast together at the corner. When I made my cage I only had scotch tape so I improvised. I bought a pack of 100 of them at ikea for super cheap. (I seriously use them all over my house) They have held on so far! I may need to get some binder clips when my pigs get bigger as they are just 5 weeks old.

thebeachdreamer

Cavy Slave
You are clever! I do this too ;)

I use everything from my pantry: Cereal Boxes, the boxes from Instant grits and oatmeal, my cracker boxes (ritz, cheeze its, whales) My slim fast boxes that the cans come in. Anything that comes with a thick bag inside that keeps it the food from touching the box.

I teach Kindergarten and I all the classrooms in our little school, collect their empty tissue boxes and capri sun juice pouch boxes for me.

I buy my hay by the bale and have it in a gi-normous box in the garage and when I get home I fill them up and keep them in the hay box until ready to use, then all I have to do is grab a couple of boxes and put them in the cage. It's a huge time saver and keeps they hay from being strown from one end of the house to the other and as the post above states, it's always good if you can re-use!

I will tell you that your piggies are probably much more well behaved than mine though. Because I have so many they grab the box and pull it all over the cage. I think it's a conspiracy because I had it clipped with 3 binder clips and they still managed to pull it off, so they must be working together! :)

lillypearlandme

Cavy Slave
I used a tissue box, and ripped the plastic out of the opening, and stuffed hay in there. Lilly seems to like hiding under the little bit that pokes out...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.