Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Getting my pigs to use the ramp

jbargent

Cavy Slave
I recently bought a larger, 2-level cage for my pigs. The only problem is that they seem afraid to use the ramp to get up to the second level. I've tried putting food and hay on the ramp to entice them, but they'll only go part of the way up and then will scamper back down. I also tried putting them on the upper level but they won't go down either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
I've tried adding a second level twice... One of my pigs (an older one) absolutely REFUSES. We've tried EVERYTHING. So we have given up and are sticking to a single level. Good luck!

crazy4looney2n

Cavy Slave
How about making a covered ramp, like a tunnel? You can also make sure that the ramp isn't too steep and that the ramp has a non skid material on it.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Entice them up the ramp with some veggies. When I had a second level, I put veggies near the bottom and would move them slightly higher each day. One of mine went up there right away but others took a long time to go up. All of them eventually did. I ended up taking out the second level because they spent most of their time under it, rather than on the second level and the ramp used up space on the first level.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
My piggies are hoppers not jumppers. So when I added a 2nd level last week I made 2 steps with cubes because they HATE ramps... remember additional levels do not add to the sq footage. They first need the min bottom area before you can add upper space. What kind of cage did you purchase? Maybe the ramp material is not abrasive enough and they dont get very good traction?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I don't know what size your cage is, but I have a 2 level also with a ramp. I bought a 6x2 C&C cage with a 2x2 hayloft with a ramp kit from this site. I have 2 girls, Cuddles and Buttercup, both are around 4 months ( 2 weeks apart) old. The both LOVE the ramp ! After a couple of days of being in their new cage, I enticed them onto the ramp by placing a small piece of fruit half-way up the ramp. Grapes happen to be Cuddles favorite fruit so she took the bait first. Then, I put the other half of grape on the top of the ramp. This drove Cuddles NUTS !! She wheeked and wheeked for me to give it to her. ( I know, I know, I very nearly gave in !!)

However, I stayed strong and just kept encouraging her, pumping her up, and slowly--she crawled up, crouched really low and inched her way up !! Hooray ! Then, upon witnessing Cuddles bravery, Buttercup wasn't long to follow after ! ( although Buttercup did need some encouraging too but just a little)

I am glad that the ramp was brought up though. I would like to say that recently I had a huge scare when Buttercup decided to jump over the side of the ramp, from the TOP of the ramp !! So, if you have a piggie that loves to jump, please add higher walls to the edges of your ramp ! The ramp that came with the c&c cage kit from this site, does have about 4 inch sides ( looked for my tape measure to measure it couldn't find it) but I had to add 5 inches to keep Buttercup from jumping off the top again.

A piggie on here died recently from a fall. So, just to be safe I would make sure your ramp has walls, if it is to a high second level, like my cage is. If your piggies are young, there is no way to tell if they are jumpers yet. I was lucky, Buttercup landed like a cat and was not hurt.I should have known better though, because (sigh) I knew she was a "jumper".

For when Buttercup would run down the ramp she would jump half-way down forward and I thought it was cute and called her my Olympian. She has always popcorned really high and she loves to run really fasssst.

Good luck and I am sure that your piggies will thoroughly enjoy their new cage and added space ! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.