Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Water bottle & Hay rack...

• Thread starter PerfectlyFlawed
  • Start date

PerfectlyFlawed

Cavy Slave
I have 2 cage related questions:

First, does anyone have a hay rack that they really like and would recommend? I currently have a little box with an opening in the front to hold my guinea's hay but it's pretty messy and I waste a lot of hay that way. I want to buy a hay rack but I'd like to know if anyone has one they really like and would recommend.

Second, what is the safest way to clean my guinea's water bottles? I don't put anything in their water and I change it daily but the inside of the bottle gets "slimy"sometimes and I don't know how to safety clean it so my piggies don't drink anything harmful.

Thank you.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
First, does anyone have a hay rack that they really like and would recommend? I currently have a little box with an opening in the front to hold my guinea's hay but it's pretty messy and I waste a lot of hay that way. I want to buy a hay rack but I'd like to know if anyone has one they really like and would recommend.

We built our own hay rack. We took one grid and at about the fourth block, we bent it up, kind of like a L. Then we made a lid with an old grid that was slightly bent. We ziptied one end so that it opened and closed on the top. Then, we ziptied it to the grids of the cage. It first perfectly in the corner! I am not sure if I have a good picture of it, but you could look through my gallery.

Second, what is the safest way to clean my guinea's water bottles? I don't put anything in their water and I change it daily but the inside of the bottle gets "slimy"sometimes and I don't know how to safety clean it so my piggies don't drink anything harmful.

You can put dried rice and a little water (or vinegar) in a bottle, put your hand over the top and shake it. Make sure you rinse it out really well!

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
My hay racks are metal utensil holders (found in the kitchen aisle). They look like miniature versions of the cattle hay bale feeders. Holds LOTS of hay and keeps it clean.

Cleaning water bottles, I fill the sink with hot water and a 1/2 cup of bleach. I got a baby bottle brush. One side has a large end, and I bent it so once inserted into the bottle it can clean the inside where it gets scuzzy. The other end is a small brush which is perfect for the spout of the water bottle. Then once you have it all clean, rinse really well and refill :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Pipe cleaners work really well to clean out the water bottle spout. I use a baby bottle brush for the bottle part. I add some vinegar and dish washing soap to a pan of water and scrub and rinse well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.