Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Imma New and so are my guinea pigs :) WIth a problem

pigpigpiggy

Cavy Slave
Well i am new hear and as of now i got a female (what we wanted) and a male guinea pig (we wanted both females) i found out myself since one was acting a little weird and i have been checking to see if its a male and they are both now 5 weeks old and i could only tell now that its a male...It really stinks because i really liked it/him but i now must give him a way and get another. I feel bad but my mom says it has to be done and i understand so now i must find a new home for a young male guniea pig. I just thought i would share and i fianly figured out how to post a thread

Last edited by a moderator:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Where did you get your pigs?

Are they separated?

Do you need to rehome him because you intended to house the pigs together?

pigpigpiggy

Cavy Slave
Well please do not yell becasuse i have been yelled at already about getting them at pet stores. But that is where I got them and we ended up with a boy and a girl. I really want to keep him but we can't get another male and another female to make four guinea pigs. Who he be happy if we had two females, in the same cage don't worry about size but had two females cage divider and him on the other side? and if we watch carefully during play time they could play together.

Right now in the same cage but a cage divider so they can be next to each other and talk but they seem to be a little disturebed by the divider blocking them.

And as of now my mom only wants two guniea pigs and he does need a new home if there is no way i can keep him.....

Supermissdeedee

Cavy Slave
Can you nueter him?

pigpigpiggy

Cavy Slave
we don't have the money ............:sad:

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
and if we watch carefully during play time they could play together.
(sorry the quote thing isn't working!)

Anyways...

Even if you have your eye of them the entire time, they can still breed before you seperate them. I wouldn't take the chance. Have you checked if you female is already pregnant since she has been with the male?

pigpigpiggy

Cavy Slave
well he only started the mounting thing like 2-3 days and the whole time she ran away so i don't really know, i don't think so he just started soooo. The whole time she bit him and kicked him away and he left.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I wouldnt be so certain she is not pregnant. Often guinea pigs from petstores are pregnant because of the terrible conditions they are shipped in... Like others said it only takes one time and only a half a second at that. You MIGHT have gotten lucky but I doubt it. Rehome the male if you cannot afford to get him fixed and put the mommy on pregnancy watch before you decide to get another one.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Rehome the male if you cannot afford to get him fixed and put the mommy on pregnancy watch before you decide to get another one.

I second this.

No matter how vigilantly you watch them, they can mate before you could even get up from a chair or couch to separate them. Not to mention, it is kind of impossible to keep an eye on them the ENTIRE time they are together. You need to keep them separate.

If the female was housed with him in the pet store, or other pigs (that were probably also male), she is more than likely already pregnant. You need to keep a close eye on her and baby-proof the cage. Also, you will need to find a cavy-savvy vet in case of emergency, as pregnancy in guinea pigs is extremely dangerous.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Oh dear ! Oh man. Honey, I know they don't like being separated, but it is a MUST. I agree with what everyone else has said, even during floor play time, it is NOT possible to keep her from getting pregnant and it only takes a moment. However, if the petstupid store didn't even know, she may indeed already be pregnant.

I would not get another piggie until you know whether she is pregnant or not, and although your Mom won't let you have more than two...she may be getting more than that if your female is pregnant. If she is pregnant, and has a baby girl....well that solves that problem, but you will need to re-home the rest--which is a huge responsibility, in so many many ways. Whatever is done is done now. Many here have made that awful mistake in the beginning, buying from a pet store ( myself included ! Sigh..) We will all, especially those with many many years of expertise in piggies, will be here to help you in ANY way we can, o.k. ? Warm wishes to you and lots and lots of good luck piggie pal friend !! :)

P.S. Please keep us updated, thanks !!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.