Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Is this OK? Cubes -- concerned about spacing

neoma

Cavy Slave
I would like to build a cube playpen for my piggies. We live in an apartment, so I need to be able to break it down so it lays flat between uses.

I would like to know if (broken link removed) are the correct size with the right sized grids.

I was thinking of putting a shower curtain or sheet of plastic and putting a piece of fleece on top of that for them to run around on.

What size cage are they currently housed in?

Those are the correct grids.

Peggysu, thank you for your reply.

They are currently in a large commercial rabbit cage. I haven't measured it, yet. We cannot accommodate a larger cage in our apartment. That's one of the reasons that I want to make them a playpen so they can run around during their daily playtime.

Right now, they come out every day and play on the couch, which is covered. The run around, climb on me and get snuggles. But I want them to be able to have more room to run securely.

Yes these grids and cubes are safe I bought similar ones to make my C&C cage for them. Defenitly use the plastic if u dont have chloroplast to keep your floor clean. The fleece is what I use also. As long as the little squares on the grid are not bigger than 1 1/2 inches they should be safe. To big of squares and the guinea pigs can escape espically if they are still small. The grids should be able to take apart and store really easily I do the same for my little ones. Well good luck!

Thank you, Kiwi2! Your post was very helpful.

Which reminds me... Why do some posts allow me to "thank" someone via a button while others, like this one, do not?

There is a sign shop near me. I am going to pop in and ask them if they have some chloroplast that I can buy. If not, I will definitely put down some plastic.

Your welcome!
Im not to sure, I'm still getting use to this site=]
Thats a good idea I havent been able to find chloroplast yet but Im still looking!

They are currently in a large commercial rabbit cage. I haven't measured it, yet. We cannot accommodate a larger cage in our apartment. That's one of the reasons that I want to make them a playpen so they can run around during their daily playtime.

The problem with a cage that isn't an adequate size is the fact that they only sleep 4 hours out of the day. They tend to be pretty active. If they don't get enough exercise, which they won't unless housed appropriately, you run the risk of health issues including obecity.

I myself live in a small one bedroom appartment with a 45lb dog and four guinea pigs. I have two stacked cages each one exceeding the recommended size. If you're going to buy coroplast you might as well just sack it up and build a cage. I guarantee it would be much easier to keep clean and watching your piggies enjoy it would be the best experience.

Maybe by rearranging some furniture you can find a spot to fit a minnimum sized cage. There are some very creative members that are usually more then willing to help with finding ways to fit a cage.

I also want to mention that hopefully your rabbit cage doesn't have a wire bottom and if it does that needs to be removed as it can cause injury to a piggies feet.

No, it doesn't have a wire bottom.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.