Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece New Owner: Advantages of Fleece?

PigglesGiggles

Cavy Slave
Hi there. I am a new guinea pig owner (as of today!). I've been reading a lot about piggies, and I am still confused about why so many people use fleece as bedding.
What are the advantages? Is the cost more/less in the long run? And if fleece is such a good thing to use, where can I go to buy the pads already made? Thanks so much!

Some people like fleece, some hate it. I personally love it. It costs more upfront but overall it's much cheaper. I guess the biggest advantage is it's easier to clean (at least for me) and it's cheaper than buying litter all the time. I have 2 sets and pop one into the washer while the other I can put it right into the cage. We spot clean it twice a day and then do an over all cleaning 1x a week. Here are a couple of links that will help:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html

Info on making your own using Uhaul blankets and fleece - seems to be the newest thing (I used to have the link on how to cut and sew them but had to have my hard drive reformatted so I lost the link :( )
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/58123-review-uhaul-blanket.html

Info on buying them already made
(broken link removed)

Wow! Thank you! So informative. My biggest thing is I don't want to buy litter. I can handle cleaning it up once or twice a day (sweeping up the poops), but I can't handle buying the shavings only to throw it away. Thank you so much.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.