Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning New owner here!

willowtheguinea

Cavy Gazer
I have a female guinea pig named Willow. (Hint the name) I have had her since March but I never really knew how what to really do besides clean her cage 1-2 times a week, feed her pellets, veggie treats, and unlimited hay. I had come home late and automatically started cleaning her cage, I had run out of bedding and I hadn't noticed. Can I use paper towels as an alternative until tomorrow evening?

You could but they'll be soiled in no time. And she'll probably eat them LOL.

You would be better served by looking into alternative bedding solutions such as wood pellets or fleece. There are many, many threads here that can detail what would suit you best. Paper bedding while effective, is definitely NOT cost effective.

You could but they'll be soiled in no time. And she'll probably eat them LOL.

You would be better served by looking into alternative bedding solutions such as wood pellets or fleece. There are many, many threads here that can detail what would suit you best. Paper bedding while effective, is definitely NOT cost effective.
Okay, well I am about to change them. I just needed something until I was able to grab bedding at Wal-Mart. Thank you for new alternatives though!!

You might also want to look into the chenille bath mats. They are absorbent, inexpensive, and would be great as a backup.

I used to use GuineaDad liners. But due to a medical condition, liners are too heavy for me now. I have been experimenting with paper, pine, aspen, hemp, and settled on the chenille bath mats, which are changed out every 4 days. I really like the Target ones and use four 20"x32" chenille bath mats in the 2x5 C&C cage. The smaller 17"x24" ones are often used as pee pads in heavily soiled areas. I only wish there are even smaller mats, around 12"x12".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.