Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C want to expand

cam767

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I was hoping you guys could give me some ideas and inspiration. I have 6 extra grids that just seem to be bothering me because they are not being used. I even tried rearranging furniture in my sons room this weekend to make more room for this (not that I really gained any). I've been trying to figure out the best way to expand and give Levi & Inca more floor space. They don't really run around (just up and down the tube) but it just looks so small when you put 2 full grown pigs and all accessories in there.

Currently I have a 2x4 with a 2x2 upper level kitchen. I have an exterior ramp that leads up to the 2nd level. See pics below. I can't really make my cage longer unless we take out the exterior tube and make an interior ramp. The cage is nestled in between my sons bed and bookcase. Since that is the only wall they can go on I'm kind of stuck. So what do you think would be better. Adding to the top to make level a 2x3 (would need 2 for the top) and keeping the exterior tube. Removing the tube and making a 2x5 (it will still be a tight fit). Or any other suggestions? I was thinking a 3x4 bottom but I think it would be tough for my son to get things from the book case (it's a built in) or even changing sheets on his bed. Ideas please?

want to expand
want to expand

Old cage (1x2 kitchen and 1x2 hayloft) but it shows the exterior tube pretty good.
want to expand

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
I think a 2x5 with an interior ramp to an up top kitchen only would be the best bet. That would make alot more run space for them and the kitchen with food, hay, etc will be on top as it is now. Plus that cage looks difficult to clean out.

I have an obsession with wanting their cage to be different constantly. Lol so I always have ideas on how to change it. But I have the same problem, NO More ROOM! haha

cam767

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Kim. I'm thinking I may go 2x5 with the interior ramp vs the external tube. I was wondering...I know that a ramp supposedly takes up floor space but does anyone know what to deduct on sq. footage? I'm guessing a 2x5 with an interior ramp would be better floor space than a 2x4 with no ramp, correct?

The cage actually isn't that difficult to clean. It takes about 20 min to 1/2 hour. Depending if I dilly dally. Actually it will be a lot easier soon. If the weather holds out from rain we are going to finish spray painting some crates to raise the cage from the floor. I was supposed to have finished this already but... Plus we bought some dowels for the cage so I'm going to make the whole front of the cage so it can open. Then I can easily slide the coroplast out to clean and back in when I'm done. The top has 4 sections that fold up so that is easy access.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
If you could, 3x4 would probably be best since it's bigger than a 2x5, and it's equivalent to a 2x6.

cam767

Cavy Slave
I would LOVE to do a 3x4 but the problem is space. It would take up a lot in my son's room. The cage is in between his bed and a built in bookcase. If I did a 3x4 it would be half the length of his bed and hard to get to his bed for sheet changes and to his bookcase. I've tried rearranging furniture but it didn't really create more wall space. It only made it so that we could move in his room and not bang into something. :(

lissie

Cavy Slave
Can you move the cage to other room? Living, dining, etc?

cam767

Cavy Slave
I wish I could. My room would be big enough but I have 3 ferrets in there. The upper level of the house is out of the question. While I don't think the cat would try anything I am certain the dog would try to eat them given a chance. She shakes every time she sees one of them. Needless to say she has been banished from the lower level so there are no accidents. Maybe next year if we ever get to finish the office area we would be able to put them in here (lower level). Unfortunately money is tight so the remodel is going very sloooowwwly. Someone is always in here so they would always have company.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.