Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage What do you use as a roof?

EmilyRose93

Cavy Slave
I just put together some grids for my guinea pigs roof, but I'm concerned...it doesn't seem very strong. It's really hard to get the corners into the connectors properly and I'm worried that maybe it could fall in on them :/

Has anyone else had this concern? What is another idea for a roof?

I definitely need a roof because I have other pets - they aren't allowed in the guinea pig room but if they ever got in by accident I'd want to have a little bit of peace of mind.

You should take a look if you haven't at some of the photos for cages here, they are great. They have enclosed, multi level, etc. I got some of my ideas from what other people have created. I used other grids to support the second level and it won't be falling down anytime soon. I also used a pole to from one side of the cage to the other through the grids and tied it. Then I built the second level. You may want to take a look at my cage pics. :)

Have you tried zip ties? How big is your cage? The wider the cage, the harder to make a lid. Perhaps you can add wood to hold it up?

You can also use closet/wire shelving for a lid.

You can zip tie your lid together as one piece. We did that with ours, as we have an open cage, but like to close it when we have pets or kids visiting, or when we have parties, in order to keep the pigs safe. The lid is made of grids zip tied and connected together to make one piece, and is strengthened with doweling, which is zip tied along the length for support. It attaches to the cage with velcro ties, which lets you remove it easily. I don't have a picture of it just now, but will try to get one for you later.

I really like the idea of using wood to support it. I did tie some of the grids together but I haven't got zip-ties yet.

I also like the velcro idea because I would like to have one of the grids as sort of the doorway, that I can open and close, so that'd be useful for that.

I used shelf stuff. But my whole cage is shelf stuff. The top is in 2 pieces. The back piece is tie wrapped to the cage on 3 sides then the front piece is only tie wrapped across the hinge area in the middle (so the front piece is only tie wrapped to the back piece and the back piece has tie wraps on all 4 sides.)

Like this...
What do you use as a roof?

What do you use as a roof?

The inside looks totally different now but that's what the basic cage looks like. We didn't need any support. The shelf sits fine on the edges of the cage. And it is pretty strong with the back piece being attached on all sides. My 40ish pound dog jumped up on it the first day! And the cat has been plucked off of it a couple of times. (They are getting MUCH better now...we've only had piggy home since Saturday and I want to keep her in the living room. (only now I think she is a he...) So we are still working on training. But yesterday was better and today has been just fine. They are leaving the cage alone now.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.