Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Expanding/Upgrading. Opinions Please.

Amanda&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I started off with just two piggies and are now up to five after adopting trio. The trio is currently in a 2x5 C&C. The other two piggies are in their own alternative areas that are the equivalent of at least a 3x3. They are not house together because one is an unaltered male and the rest are females. I was waiting to join the other female to the trio until I expanded the cage.

Anyway, my grids arrived today and I'll be picking up two 4x8 sheets of.coroplast tomorrow. I would like to work on and finish the cage this weekend when I'll have the time.
My male will be neutered soon so I wanted to make sure I have an adequate size space for five guinea pigs.

So my plans were to do a 3x7 with possibly a 2x2 loft on each end for a kitchen area. Plans may change depending on my materials I guess. So I open to.any suggestions on my cage plans, I'm not set in my way yet. Would love to hear from anyone with a similar cage setup or has five plus pigs living together and their setup. Also one more question. What about the height of the coroplast sides? My.current sides in my 2x5 are six inches but I was considering going shorter. Since I will have liter pans and kitchen areas and will use fleece bedding throughout the cage I don't think it'll be a problem.

Opinions are welcome!

Thanks in advance! :)

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
I have 3 inch sides, and they seem to work just fine. The size sounds wonderful! If I were you I would make 1X3 lofts, not 2X2 just so it's easier to clean, but that's just me... because I'm lazy. :rolleyes: It sounds great, and good luck!

Amanda&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Good to know. I'm not so great a measurements so this should be fun! I know ill have enough to do at least 3x7 and I hope I have enough to do the lofts, so the three inch sides may help.

And I meant 2x3 lofts. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that! A 2x3 makes more sense with a 3x7 bottom level.

And thanks about the size! I hope it'll work out well with all five pigs. I'd be afraid to do it much smaller. They have their own room so I've got the space.

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
Good to know. I'm not so great a measurements so this should be fun! I know ill have enough to do at least 3x7 and I hope I have enough to do the lofts, so the three inch sides may help.

And I meant 2x3 lofts. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that! A 2x3 makes more sense with a 3x7 bottom level.

And thanks about the size! I hope it'll work out well with all five pigs. I'd be afraid to do it much smaller. They have their own room so I've got the space.
I was going to suggest the 2x3, but see you made a typo. :) I can't think of anything I'd do different. When I had the kitchen area running across one side like that, I put a grid in the middle of it and then hung fleece down and it made a great sleeping area for the piggies at no extra cost. The fleece was scrap from where I bought extra for the cage. I cut it like a fringe, and they love running in and out. With that many, it would take up less space than a bunch of pigloos would and it avoids fights because of the easy access and ability to leave.

Amanda&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks FlowersGrandma!

I think I saw your cage with the fleece fringe actually. I've used my scrap fleece for tents and to draped off of top grids for hiding areas. The fringe idea sounds neat though. It would be different and provide hiding space that's not blocked off by a whole sheet of fleece.

I was attempting some measurements last night and I should have enough coroplast for the bottom along with two lofts. I did want to have it on a stand but I'm not sure ill have enough grids for both the lofts and stand. Some I'm trying to decide what to do there. I also thought about attatching both of the lofts with maybe drainage pipe or something similar? Maybe.. I don't know yet.

But I did get my coroplast today and I got my grids the other day. I also got a mattress pad and some more fleece. I'm hoping I can get this done tomorrow since I'm off from work and class. So I need to make up my mind!

Amanda&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I finished my cage last night! It was a tedious process but I managed.

I ended up going with the 3x7 as the base. I did still do a loft but I'm using the top 2x3 area for my boy until he gets altered and can live with the four females. When he is able to be housed with the females I will have a ramp going up to the loft that is currently his home. I may add another loft. Maybe...probably something smaller though depending how hard this 2x3 will be to.clean under. I had to practically low crawl to get the fleece tucked in underneath! lol. So we'll see.

The piggies are enjoying it and so far so good. I'll post pictures here this evening once I get home from work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.